Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
We recommend that consumers, when ordering or selecting food ingredients, should give preference to some white meat, such as domestic chicken, duck, and seafood.

Is this sentence that I wrote correct? Can the phrase "give preference to" collocate with food? The Cambridge Dictionary doesn't give any example about such a collocation. (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/preference)
Also, I am wondering that if I should delete "some" which is before white meat or not? Thanks for your helping!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"White meat" generally means the breast of chicken or turkey in AmE. Seafood is not considered white meat; indeed, except with respect to those vegetarians who don't eat it, seafood is not in the "meat" category.

Can you describe in different words what you're trying to express?

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"White meat" generally means the breast of chicken or turkey in AmE. Seafood is not considered white meat; indeed, except with respect to those vegetarians who don't eat it, seafood is not in the "meat" category.

Can you describe in different words what you're trying to express?

What I want to express is to make white meat a top choice when buying or eating, not just "prefer".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What I want to express is to make white meat a top choice when buying or eating, not just "prefer".

In your original post you included duck and seafood as "white meats." How about this: We recommend that consumers include seafood and fowl (such as chicken or duck) when ordering or selecting food ingredients.

I moved the "...when ordering..." phrase to the end to avoid breaking the flow with a parenthetical phrase. I moved seafood to the beginning of the list to avoid a confusing construction like "...fowl, such as chicken or duck, and seafood." (The reader might wonder whether the writer thought seafood was a kind of fowl.)

"Fowl" is a somewhat uncommon word, so I explained what it means in parentheses.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In your original post you included duck and seafood as "white meats." How about this: We recommend that consumers include seafood and fowl (such as chicken or duck) when ordering or selecting food ingredients.

I moved the "...when ordering..." phrase to the end to avoid breaking the flow with a parenthetical phrase. I moved seafood to the beginning of the list to avoid a confusing construction like "...fowl, such as chicken or duck, and seafood." (The reader might wonder whether the writer thought seafood was a kind of fowl.)

"Fowl" is a somewhat uncommon word, so I explained what it means in parentheses.

Thank you! But let me tell you the details.

We recommend that consumers, when ordering or selecting food ingredients, should give preference to white meat, such as domestic chicken, duck, and seafood, and choose peeled lean meat instead of fatty meat, which will massively lower the intake of saturated fat.
1. The original text is in Chinese. I translated it into English like this short paragraph. So, I cannot change white meat, such as domestic chicken, duck, and seafood, because its original text is just what I write.

2. You say: We recommend that consumers include seafood and fowl ...
→Does "include" have a meaning of make something your first/top choice? What I want to express is we recommend that consumers should first choice white meat and also choose peeled lean meat when buying or selecting food. But, I don't want to make "choose" exist in the context twice. How should I do?

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
How about this: We recommend that consumers, when ordering or selecting food ingredients, should make white meat, such as domestic chicken, duck, and seafood the top choice, and choose peeled lean meat instead of fatty meat, which will massively lower the intake of saturated fat.

Is this sentence correct? Should I change the top choice to a top choice or their top choice?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about this: We recommend that consumers, when ordering or selecting food ingredients, should make white meat, such as domestic chicken, duck, and seafood the top choice, and choose peeled lean meat instead of fatty meat, which will massively lower the intake of saturated fat.

Is this sentence correct? Should I change the top choice to a top choice or their top choice?

I'd write their first choice. I would not use the term "white meat" to describe seafood or duck except in a context where it was clear that the term has a nonstandard meaning. For example, perhaps an earlier sentence says "In Chinese cuisine, 'white meats' include fowl and seafood."

Rather than peeled, the usual term for meats with the skin removed is skinless.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I'd write their first choice. I would not use the term "white meat" to describe seafood or duck except in a context where it was clear that the term has a nonstandard meaning. For example, perhaps an earlier sentence says "In Chinese cuisine, 'white meats' include fowl and seafood."

Rather than peeled, the usual term for meats with the skin removed is skinless.

So, the phrase "give preference to" cannot collocate with food!?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would reword the sentence as follows:

We recommend that consumers, when ordering or selecting food, opt for white meat such as chicken and lean skinless meat, which are healthier.

It is not natural to say we recommend people to give preference to something or make something a first choice.
Seafood is not considered meat. Duck meat is considered red meat.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Seafood is not considered white meat; indeed, except with respect to those vegetarians who don't eat it, seafood is not in the "meat" category.

Just to clarify the underlined part above, no vegetarians eat seafood. A vegetarian diet excludes all meat, fish, seafood and animal products such as gelatine and cochineal. People who avoid meat but eat fish and/or seafood are increasingly described as "pescatarians".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would reword the sentence as follows:

We recommend that consumers, when ordering or selecting food, opt for white meat such as chicken and lean skinless meat, which are healthier.

You could add seafood before white meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.