Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Hello. I'd like to know which tense to put the verb in ( present or past) in a sentence:
I was wondering which country you are/were representing ( it's about a sport competition that is happening right now and I'm talking to the person in the present). much obliged

andi harper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Azerbaijan
You will hear both forms.

Is this the case that technically were is grammatically correct but in spoken english people would usually use are?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It doesn't matter because the answer will be the same unless the person has changed country between the wondering and the asking.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
There is a rule, to harmonize the tenses: "I didn't know you were British." v. "I didn't know you are British."
Logically, you should be able to choose the present; in practice it often sounds unnatural, and what sounds natural, and is most often said, is rather illogical. So be it.

andi harper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Azerbaijan
It doesn't matter because the answer will be the same unless the person has changed country between the wondering and the asking.

Could you rephrase or explain what you said or give an example? I didn't get it.
:-?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Could you rephrase or explain what you said or give an example? I didn't get it.
:-?
My response was to Piscean. Rephrasing it is not worth the bother. You can use either.

andi harper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Azerbaijan
How about this: Have you heard anything about it? (this part is clear) but what if I started the sentence, still talking to the person in the present, like this:
I was just going to ask you/I wanted to ask you if (here comes the tricky part) you've/you'd/ you heard anything about it.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Wanna" is not an English word. Please edit your post so it does not contain non-standard/sub-standard English.

andi harper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Azerbaijan
You will hear all three. In this sort of indirect question, native speakers do not normally worry too much about the 'ideal' combination of tenses, particularly as the direct question was never actually uttered.
Thanks, but what would be the correct choice?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks, but what would be the correct choice?
"I wanted to know if [you] heard anything about it." They are all correct.

"I wanted to know if you've heard anything about it." Correct and generic.
"I wanted to know if you heard anything about it." When?
"I wanted to know if you'd heard anything about it." Before what more recent event?

andi harper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Azerbaijan
"I wanted to know if you'd heard anything about it."
I think that this sentence has to be the grammatically correct choice because this would simply be following the rules of the sequence of tenses as present perfect backshifts into past perfect. And the recent event is me actually wanting to know. Am I correct?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sure, if you like. You're not wrong.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The English language has no body of Immortals to tell us that one choice is grammatically correct while another isn't. When we write that something is correct, we're suggesting that it sounds logical to an Anglophone. I'm afraid you'll be disappointed if you insist on finding one correct answer from a list of sentences when all the sentences sound logical to the Anglophones and teachers on this board -- even if some of the sentences violate a rule in an English-as-a-second-language textbook.

andi harper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Here's a situation: I've lost my book at school and when I get a chance I approach my schoolmates and say-I was wondering if you had seen/saw it by any chance. Which tense should I choose?
Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd say either "I'm wondering if you have seen my book" or "I was wondering if you had seen my book.

andi harper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Azerbaijan
How about this: I've heard that my friend is leaving tomorrow and when I meet him I say-Hey, I heard you are/were leaving tomorrow?

andi harper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Azerbaijan
How many variations of this are you going to come up with?

Backshifting is almost always correct.

If, at the time of reporting a situation, the situation reported is still valid, then backshifting is optional. It's as simple as that.
Hi. Thank you. Sorry for being fussy. But just one more thing. What if I heard he was going to leave tomorrow but later I find out that he has changed his mind and is not leaving, so I want to know why and when I see him I begin my sentence with I heard you were going to leave Is this correct? Because I think that saying I heard you were leaving in this situation would imply that he's still going to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.