Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Over 1.000 employees have been working at ABC so far and this number grows continually.

Is it possible to use present perfect continuous with "so far"?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your sentence is ungrammatical and it is unclear what you are trying to say. Do you mean that 1000 employees are currently working at ABC, or do you mean that since its inception, ABC has employed a total of 1000 people (not necessarily at the same time)?

Ksenia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I mean that since its inception, ABC has employed a total of 1000 people (not necessarily at the same time) and it keeps on employing new people. That's why I say that they (employees) are continuously grow in number.
How will my sentence sound then?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To date, 1000 people have worked at ABC and that number continues to rise.
Since [date of inception], ABC has employed 1000 people and employment levels continue to rise.

I have tried to give two alternatives for your sentence. There's a potential ambiguity in the conclusion we might make from the figures. Just because they continue to employ more people, that doesn't mean that the total number of people working there at any one time is going up. Let's say the company was recently set up and they immediately employed 500 people to work there. Yesterday, 20 people resigned and 20 new people started work there. The total number of current employees hasn't changed (500) but you can now say that since its inception, the company has employed 520 people.

Ksenia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
emsr2d2, thank you for the detailed answer.

I have one more question: If I want to indicate a certain number of people or size of a territory, should I use dot marks (.) in these figures?
For example: It offers over 25(.)000 items for trucks, trailers, semitrailers and sells its products to more than 1(.)000 customers in more than 30 countries.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. Use either a comma or nothing.

I have 25,000 trucks for sale.
There are 1000 customers on our database.

I prefer the version with the comma, especially with bigger numbers.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Is it possible to use present perfect continuous with "so far"?
Yes, it is; but not in the sentence in the original post.

For example,
I adopted a cat last month. So far, I've been feeding her leftovers, and she seems happy enough with that.

Ksenia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
emsr2d2, if I am writing different amounts of money, how then I should use dots and commas?

They transferred to our account 12.875,46 EUR.
Have you received the money of 1.928,37 EUR?

Is that correct?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
emsr2d2, if I am writing different amounts of money, how then I should use dots and commas?

They transferred to our account 12.875,46 EUR.
Have you received the money of 1.928,37 EUR.

Is that correct?

They transferred €12,875.46 to our account. (That's twelve thousand, eight hundred and seventy-five Euros, and forty-six cents. I don't know if that's what you meant.)
Have you received the €1,928.37? (That's one thousand, nine hundred and twenty-eight Euros, and thirty-seven cents. I don't know if that's what you mean.)

We put the symbol for the currency before the numbers (£12, €45, $212). However, that's not necessarily the case in the whole of Europe. The reason that most British people put the symbol first is because that's what we do with our own currency. I understand that in Germany, they tend to put the € symbol after the numbers because they follow the old system where they would have written "12 DM" (Deutschmarks).

For British currency, put a dot between pounds and pence (£1.12). For European currency (Euros), put a comma between the Euros and the cents (€45,66).

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you should follow English-language practice when writing numbers in English: use commas to separate groups of three digits left of the decimal, use a period (full stop) as the decimal mark, and put the currency symbol to the left of the number, without a space.

For example, €23,456.78.

Ksenia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you all!

Numbers are an integral part of my job. I have to deal with them every day in bussines correspondence (Europe). I see different variants of number writing.
For example, 23,981.75 and 24.981,75.
My director says to me to use the second variant of writing.
Won't that be a mistake?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you're writing in English you should follow English-language norms: 23,981.75. If you're writing in French, follow French-language norms: 24.981,75 €. If you're in Switzerland, you seem to have a lot of options.

If your director insists on doing it wrong, though, you don't have much of a choice.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
Yes, I agree: if you are writing in English, use English numbering conventions. Use commas as thousands-separators and a dot as a decimal point; also, put the currency symbol to the left of the number, with no space between the symbol and the number.

€23,981.75
£1,645,441.12
$1,352.33

If specifying a currency, I prefer doing the following:

US$3.00
NZ$45.25
NT$563

Status
Not open for further replies.