What does intense mean in' intense relationships'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dapeng Zhang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Does it mean warm or tense?

"in my new article on his foreign policy, I make note of his strong belief that countries tend to act in what their leaders perceive to be their core interests, and I’ve come to see that Obama doesn’t place enormous value in the notion that well-developed personal relationships between leaders could ever trump the cold-eyed pursuit of those interests. Nevertheless, he has intense relationships with many world leaders—and he has become, in his last years as president, a mentor to a handful of important new ones."

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It means neither.

Have you looked up "intense" in a dictionary?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you mean that you have looked it up in an English>Chinese dictionary? If that is what you mean and you did not find the word, you need to look it up in a standard English dictionary, in which the definition is given in English.

Click HERE to look up any English word and find links to lots of dictionary definitions. Bookmark that website (www.onelook.com) and use it regularly.

Dapeng Zhang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You're welcome but please note that there is no need to write a new post to say "Thank you" to anyone. You already clicked "Like" on post #4. Next to the Like button is a Thank button. Click on that to say "Thanks".

Status
Not open for further replies.