Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hello,
I would like to know if there are one-word synonyms for "strands of hair". By "strands of hair" I mean; they are number of hairs hang loosely near someone's face till lips or chin, especially a female's face. It is called "Lut" in Indian and Pakistani language.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think we have a specific name for it. I would describe the lady in bhaisahab's photo as having "tendrils of hair framing her face".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Something like in what picture? There was no picture or link in your post.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Something like in what picture? There was no picture or link in your post.

I am using an iOS device. I tried to upload a picture, but don't know why it couldn't be uploaded. I, then, tried to edit the post#4 so I could provide the link and this time I wasn't even able to edit the post. When I click "edit post", it opens up, but the text field appears gray and I can't see what I type.
I am going to rewrite a post giving a link in response to post#2.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think we have a word for that. The caption on the picture pretty much sums it up for me - a loose strand of hair.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I don't think we have a word for that. The caption on the picture pretty much sums it up for me - a loose strand of hair.

Shouldn't have you typed? "A loose strands of hair", pertaining to the caption on the picture whose link I provided.
As far as I know "a loose strand of hair" would be considered as a single hair, rather than a small/thin cluster of hair forming a strand.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Had I typed "a loose strands of hair", it would have been grammatically incorrect, something I try to avoid.

The website caption says "His loose strand of hair" and that is correct. That's why I said I would use "a loose strand of hair". A strand of hair does not have to be one single hair. In this picture, it's several hairs (I imagine they are stuck together with some kind of hair product) but because they hang together, they're a strand.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I might also use a 'lock' of hair in this context.

Edit: also 'tuft' of hair

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, it's more a lock than a loose strand of hair. It's supposed to be there, whereas loose strands of hair on a woman's face - as you asked about - presumably aren't.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Yes, it's more a lock than a loose strand of hair. It's supposed to be there, whereas loose strands of hair on a woman's face - as you asked about - presumably aren't.

I don't think the term "a lock of hair" would be precise, because it's not interlocking - it's loose, thus stuck together.

Status
Not open for further replies.