• Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

For while...

Hello teachers,

I am back with another question!

Here are a couple of sentences from the book I am working on. It is about beauty in America):

With a sensitivity to Barnum’s humbug technique I think it is impossible to characterize his dissection of Heth as no more than a reprise of the “necrophilia” indulged in the Baartman escapade, and thus merely exploitative of the Baartman precedent. For while Heth’s dissection may in some respects be considered a sequel, a more careful attention to its details reveals more a contradiction than a replication.

Barnum’s employment of his humbug in racially sensitive endeavors is even clearer in his commissioning Harry Watkins to adapt Slyvanus Cobb Jr.’s serialized The Pioneer Patriot for an exclusive theatrical performance at his American Museum. For the production initially comforts its audience with stock characterizations, the most vulgar of which is the “ape negro” Jocko, whose importance is indicated by Watkins’s insistence on playing the character himself.

I see a lot of such sentences in the book. I tried looking up on the Internet but didn't get much help for the usage of "for" as conjunction.

The author also uses "for" (as a conjunction) correctly in several places. Here is an example:

He is relieved to discover exaggerated physical capacities in Baartman, for these can be exploited to distinguish the alternative capacities he appreciates in his own race.

My question is, can I join such sentences (in the first 2 examples) with a comma instead of the period?

Thank you very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: For while...

Some style guides discourage beginning a sentence with a conjunction, but the sentence as written looks OK to me.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: For while...

The online sites I visited give examples for and and but. However, I could not find anything with for.

Substituting the word because in place of for, I still feel the sentences are incomplete in my first two examples.

The book has quite a few such sentences.