• Native Language:
      • Gujarati
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Hysteria and fear essay

Hi,

I am writing an english essay on theme based on hysteria and fear.

I always struggle on concluding an essay up, my english teacher was very unclear on conclusions. She says that conclusions are not needed in essays?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: Hysteria and fear essay

Quote Originally Posted by a1sh View Post
    Hi,

I am writing an English essay on theme based on about hysteria and fear.

I always struggle on with concluding an essay. up, My English teacher was is very unclear on conclusions. She says that conclusions are not needed in essays.
    I don't agree with your teacher. The conclusion is the last paragraph of an essay. You typically start it with "In conclusion," or "To sum up." You then restate the main position/topic of the essay and write one or two sentences summarizing the main findings/points of the body paragraphs. Sometimes it makes sense to add a recommendation at the end of a conclusion.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

When will you submit your finished essay to your teacher/tutor?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Not a teacher

Conclusion should be of one paragraph. It should draw all the information together. In conclusion you need to show the connection between all the points discussed in the essay. Include most important and useful points from the body part and summarize those points in the conclusion. This will help you to draw readers to have an impact on the essay. Do not introduce a new topic or subtopic in conclusion. You can use the same keywords and ideas but do not repeat the same sentences in the conclusion. The conclusion should match the introduction.
    To know more about the essay writing there are [removed URL] websites available over internet. For any essay related queries you can approach the essay writing services which will help you get good grades in essay.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 25-Apr-2016 at 11:42. Reason: Removed unauthorised URL and added "Not a teacher"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Not a teacher

Without any doubt, the conclusions are needed. You will be able, to sum up, everything just in one paragraph. They should match all the ideas in one argument. As well, you'll be able to pay attention to the main idea of your essay and once again highlighted it. So do not forget about brief but needed conclusions. good luck with your essay!
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 27-Jun-2016 at 09:51. Reason: Added "Not a teacher"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel23 View Post
    Not a teacher

Without any a doubt, the conclusions are needed. You will be able (no comma here) to sum up (no comma here) everything just in just one paragraph. They You should match sum up all the ideas in one argument paragraph. As well, you'll be able to pay attention to the main idea of your essay and once again highlighted highlight it. So do not forget about brief but needed necessary conclusions. Good luck with your essay!
    Marvel123, I have added "Not a teacher" to your response. It's important to make that clear every time you try to help another learner. Please note my corrections to your post. Your member profile shows that you are a native English speaker. As such, learners on the forum will assume that everything you write is correct.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 12-Jul-2016 at 21:17. Reason: Fixed typo
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

I have got some questions about the corrections of the first post for @teechar. Hopefully you answer my inquiries.

1) Do you agree with me that the original post was written in a poor form?

2) Is it grammatical to say: "I am writing an English essay based on the theme of hysteria and fear."

3) You crossed the proposition "on" in the second line of the original post and substituted it for "with". I looked them up in the Oxford dictionary and according to its definitions I see nothing wrong with the
    preposition "on" since the writer continues to say that "My teacher doesn't encourage me to make a conclusion at the end of my essay and despite her act I do it. Therefore "struggle on" seems appropriate.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • England

Not a teacher

Most academic writings falls into three groups: expressive writings (when you express your own thoughts and feelings), analytical writings ( when you use facts, case studies and statistics. In this case you need a summary or conclusion) and the third one is a combination with the others two types. It is called persuasive writing (when you try to appeal to the reader’s logic and emotions).
    So you can choose the most suitable for you type of writing for essay. As for me, I prefer the third one. You can also read useful article about [unauthorised link deleted]. Hope it would be helpful for you too. Good luck!
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 12-Jul-2016 at 18:17. Reason: Adding 'Not a teacher' and deleting unauthorised link.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Eva, please read ems's reply to Marvel in post #6.