Student or Learner
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I am writing an english essay on theme based on hysteria and fear.

I always struggle on concluding an essay up, my english teacher was very unclear on conclusions. She says that conclusions are not needed in essays?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi,

I am writing an English essay [STRIKE]on theme based on[/STRIKE] about hysteria and fear.

I always struggle [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] with concluding an essay. [STRIKE]up,[/STRIKE] My English teacher [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] is very unclear on conclusions. She says that conclusions are not needed in essays.

I don't agree with your teacher. The conclusion is the last paragraph of an essay. You typically start it with "In conclusion," or "To sum up." You then restate the main position/topic of the essay and write one or two sentences summarizing the main findings/points of the body paragraphs. Sometimes it makes sense to add a recommendation at the end of a conclusion.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When will you submit your finished essay to your teacher/tutor?

ElsieMcHenry

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher

Conclusion should be of one paragraph. It should draw all the information together. In conclusion you need to show the connection between all the points discussed in the essay. Include most important and useful points from the body part and summarize those points in the conclusion. This will help you to draw readers to have an impact on the essay. Do not introduce a new topic or subtopic in conclusion. You can use the same keywords and ideas but do not repeat the same sentences in the conclusion. The conclusion should match the introduction.
To know more about the essay writing there are [removed URL] websites available over internet. For any essay related queries you can approach the essay writing services which will help you get good grades in essay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marvel23

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher

Without any doubt, the conclusions are needed. You will be able, to sum up, everything just in one paragraph. They should match all the ideas in one argument. As well, you'll be able to pay attention to the main idea of your essay and once again highlighted it. So do not forget about brief but needed conclusions. good luck with your essay!

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher

Without [STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] a doubt, [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] conclusions are needed. You will be able (no comma here) to sum up (no comma here) everything [STRIKE]just[/STRIKE] in just one paragraph. [STRIKE]They[/STRIKE] You should [STRIKE]match[/STRIKE] sum up all the ideas in one [STRIKE]argument[/STRIKE] paragraph. As well, you'll be able to pay attention to the main idea of your essay and once again [STRIKE]highlighted[/STRIKE] highlight it. So do not forget about brief but [STRIKE]needed[/STRIKE] necessary conclusions. Good luck with your essay!

Marvel123, I have added "Not a teacher" to your response. It's important to make that clear every time you try to help another learner. Please note my corrections to your post. Your member profile shows that you are a native English speaker. As such, learners on the forum will assume that everything you write is correct.

Last edited:

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I have got some questions about the corrections of the first post for @teechar. Hopefully you answer my inquiries.

1) Do you agree with me that the original post was written in a poor form?

2) Is it grammatical to say: "I am writing an English essay based on the theme of hysteria and fear."

3) You crossed the proposition "on" in the second line of the original post and substituted it for "with". I looked them up in the Oxford dictionary and according to its definitions I see nothing wrong with the
preposition "on" since the writer continues to say that "My teacher doesn't encourage me to make a conclusion at the end of my essay and despite her act I do it. Therefore "struggle on" seems appropriate.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Eva, please read ems's reply to Marvel in post #6.

Status
Not open for further replies.