• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

develop a replacement strong candidate

Should "develop a replacement strong candidate" be "develop a strong candidate as a replacement"?
    Is the word replacement used as an adjective here proper?

----------------------
    The growing list of financial scandals, coverups for past misdeeds and major errors and misdeeds in public office that are following her ; the resulting rising public reaction against her; and her all-too-evident tin ear and proclivity to self-serving and awkward misstatements all suggest to me that Hillary Clinton's candidacy may be headed for a sudden collapse. She certainly still dominates the field of potential Denocrat candidates. However increasingly polling data indicate steadily declining support; formerly friendly media centers (like the NY Times) are reporting adverse materials about her; and potential competitors in the Democrat Party are becoming more assertive, with some even criticizing the formerly untouchable front runner. All of this appears to be gathering momentum fairly quickly

How much time will pass before growing numbers of Democrat power brokers panic and realize they have little time left to develop a replacement strong candidate? (in Politics everyone loves a perceived winner, but is quick to flee from a damaged contender. This is an element that could cause Hillary's remaining support, though still strong, to suddenly collapse. This is a prospect that, in my eyes, had only a faint likelihood just a few weeks ago, Increasingly it seems much more likely to me. Worse for her, Hillary is at best an awkward campaigner, and beset as she is by a growing criticism, even worse in dealing with such attacks - a very bad combination for her in the present circumstances.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: develop a replacement strong candidate

I agree that "strong replacement" is a more natural word order.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

It's a piece written by a hack. Another glaring error is "Democrat Party". It should be "Democratic Party".
    Translator, editor and TESOL certificate holder, but not a teacher. Native speaker of American English (West Coast)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Perhaps he/she meant to hyphenate it. "... a replacement-strong candidate" could be taken to mean that the person would be a strong contender to become the replacement.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.