(The) Taiwanese like to eat iced mung bean soup to get rid of heat/beat heat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. The Taiwanese like to eat iced mung bean soup to get rid of heat.
2. The Taiwanese like to eat iced mung bean soup to beat heat.
3. The Taiwanese like to eat iced mung bean soup to relieve the summer heat.
4. The Taiwanese like to eat iced mung bean soup to cool off.

I wrote the four sentences above. The following are my questions.
(1)Are they correct?
(2)If I change "the Taiwanese" to "Taiwanese people", will it be better? Or are both sayings are good?
(3)Probably, I guessed sentence 1 is incorrect because there seems to be no collocation of getting rid of heat. Am I right? (I want to make sure.) (I am guessing that sentence 2, 3, and 4 are all correct.)

Thanks for your help!

mazurowski93

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I am not a teacher but I think that you are right. Sentences from 2 to 4 are correct (at least for me), but like you said there might not be such collocation as 'get rid of heat'. I suppose that 'get rid of' refers to the situation when you make something disappear, and not bother you any longer. So, by implication, you cannot make heat disappear. ;-)
Concerning the second question, I would stay with the phrase "the Taiwanese" because it looks more formal, and generally means the same when you would say "Taiwanese people".

Probably, you have to make sure about this 'get rid of' collocation, because as I said, I am not a teacher and I could make a mistake.

I hope I was helpful. :)
Regards

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sentence 1 is wrong. Sentence 2 would be correct with the before "heat". 3 and 4 are correct.

You can replace "The Taiwanese" with "Taiwanese people." I think that would be better. Attributing tastes to the Taiwanese (or the before any nationality) is rather old-fashioned and sometimes reads as chauvinist.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Aamir, please read this extract from the Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.