Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

Post Could you please help me to correct my writting?

It's an application to AFS. I want to know if I have bad conjugations, please ;w;

Tell us about yourself:
    My name is Lara. I’m 15 years old and I want to postulate to this scholarship because since year 2009, when I was eight years old, I’ve liked Japan, loving it culture a lot. This year I started to learn Japanese for myself learning based on websites to know more about conjugations and kanas (because in my city aren’t classes of Japanese and I would have to travel to a big city like Córdoba, where those are taught, each week during years, and it would be really expensive) and at last I ended up chatting with Japanese people which taught me more about how to explain in the language, since I, until that, was limited just for anime, manga, cd dramas and visual novels vocabulary as I’m not used to watch a lot of reality shows (but, this year, as I started to interest too much more in seiyuuthan I was used to, I started to watch interviews too and most of them have not subtitles therefore I seek for help in software as Translation Aggregator, JGlossator or ATLAS).
    When I was five years old, my parents divorced and my mom, my sister and me became to live from the farm to Río Cuarto which gave me a lot of new opportunities as learn new languages and take all kind of classes. When I lived in farm my daily days included ride a horse since I born and were the reason because I love horses too much; actually, we (my sister and me) go to farm to spend some days and to do horseback riding.
    I study French, thanks to my mom is a French Teacher, and English at school (I did a year in academy cursing Elementary level); and did figure skating since seven until eleven years old because the academy I was used to assist at closed and others academies were too far from home and mom hadn’t time to take me there. Now I practice aikido. I started to do aikido since I quit figure skating, but I quit aikido during one year and half, until 2nd year of high school, at 13 years old, when I returned back from scratch.
    Actually I assist to the school “Escuela de Agronomía” where I’m cursing preparatory, selecting the four years option which you get graduated as “Técnico Agropecuario” (Agricultural Technician). We learn to administrate and produce. The subjects I have most facility or attract me the most include Exact Sciences (in 3rd year I participated in Olympics of Physics, Chemistry and Biology in my old school but I just endure to the interscholastic instance so I couldn’t do the national instance) or languages, and I think I have not a defined favorite subject.
    I like 声優 “seiyuu” (Japanese voice actors) and admire them a lot. They lend their voices to video games, anime, visual novels, dubs, CD dramas. I liked them since I was nine years old and I discovered what a “seiyuu” was, which made me start doing fandub, at the same age, of songs or scenes clips with friends. Too, because I liked anime and manga I started doing edition videos of them using programs like After Effects or Sony Vegas (Actually I just manipulate very good Vegas and use After Effects just for specific designs which you can’t achieve with Vegas because I’m not good manipulating After Effects) and uploading them to Youtube and Nico Video.

Tell us about your expectations for the program that you are applying for:
    If I went to Japan I would like to enter to a talent (voice actors) agency, and learn a lot about voice acting. Too, as I’m 3° kyu in aikido which is a Japanese martial art I think about this scholarship as a good opportunity to expand my knowledge about aikido and practice it in a Japanese dojo, because it will help me to perfect my techniques.
    I would like to go to Shinjuku because there is the talent agency of my favourite voice actor, so if I have the chance to be selected to get into the academy I would like to study voice acting there or in one of the attached academies with Across Entertainment (R&A Voice Actors Academy or Professional School of Japanese voice talent), Power Rise (トリトリオフィス声優養成所), Kekke Corporation or Aoni Production, but any academy will like me. I would like to assist to my favorite authors’ events, too.
    I want to enjoy of flora and fauna originally from Japan: I want to see Sakura, Shiba Inu, Akita Inu and enjoy of the culinary of the county, such as taste takiyaki, onigiri or tonkatsu. Other things interest me the most about japan are the architecture of the country because in a future I would like to be an Architect and buildings like Tokyo Sky Tree impress me a lot but not just avant-garde building, too sanctuaries interest me such as明治神宮 “Sanctuary Meiji” because they are too different than Argentinian traditional buildings, so I consider them beautiful and places like 新宿御苑 “Shinjuku Gyoen” which I want to visit! Miko traditions too interest me to know more about and about the emperor because in Argentina we never had any like an emperor because it story is too different than Japan so I would like someone who told me about story: having an emperor and how politics are. Sure, too, show Japanese people about my culture like our festivals, manners, language, politics, story as much as I know. And culinary too! Like how to make Argentinian dishes such as Empanadas (I know they have a kind of Empanadas called 餃子 “Gyoza” which thanks to a seiyuu’s post I knew about).
    I would like to pass New Year in Japan to enjoy of a different New Year like going to a sanctuary, with different celebrations than my country and knowing more about their religion, because as far as I know there exist religion diversity too (A Japanese friend told me that he was Muslim as his parents, religion which I didn’t know was popular in Japan but even if he told me it really isn’t popular I felt so ignorant because it was so unexpected while I was thinking he was about to say Buddhist or Shintoist) and as a coming year full of a lot of happiness living new experiences because learn about Japan inside Japan will make me really happy and I wish the family I will live with teach me a lot about the culture and correct me about my pronunciation, conjugation writing and manners, and, If I have the opportunity of have a host family which love travel, to know much more, because I could know the cultural differences and ways of talking between regions.
    I see this scholarship too as an opportunity to socialize with others foreigners there and share experiences with them while I’m learning about them too.

Tell us about your goals or plans which are important to you:
    I want a lot to study voice acting because it isn’t thought in my place and I see this scholarship as an option to take advantage of the opportunity to study things that aren’t in your place. I want to meet a lot of people who could teach me more about their life style and about Japanese grammar in which I have a lot of troubles and I really want to perfect. I think this last point will be included inside the voice acting study point because as in voice acting you have to study scripts, it will help me a lot.

And I have a question: In an essay, which person have you to use? Do you use the "you" as "you have the opportunity to" or other person is used like "to have the opportunity to", which sounds much more formal?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Could you please help me to correct my writting?

Quote Originally Posted by larafsa View Post
    It's an application to AFS. I want to know if I have bad conjugations, please ;w;
    What's "AFS"? Do you really only want to know about your use of conjugations? What does ;w; mean?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    What's "AFS"? Do you really only want to know about your use of conjugations? What does ;w; mean?
    American Field Service makes intercultural programs. My native language is spanish and we spanish speakers make mistakes all the time with conjugations. And I have a question: In an essay, which person have you to use? Do you use the "you" as "you have the opportunity to" or other person is used like "to have the opportunity to", which sounds much more formal?
    Last edited by larafsa; 26-Mar-2016 at 05:57. Reason: add info

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by larafsa View Post
    American Field Service makes runs intercultural programs. My native language is Spanish and we Spanish speakers make mistakes all the time with conjugations. And I have a question: In an essay, which person have you to use? Do you use the "you" as in "you have the opportunity to" or is another person is used, like "to have the opportunity to", which sounds much more formal?
    Note my changes above. Remember to capitalise all proper nouns.

If this is genuinely an application to AFS then you should use the first person singular most of the time. You are applying to join a program so you need to use "I" a lot. You need to explain specifically why they should choose you to join the program.
    If this is an essay (is it homework?), the answer might be different.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 26-Mar-2016 at 10:36.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.