Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Can the pieces of paper we write on be referred to as papers?

Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Generally not. They are pieces of paper.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes — or sheets/scraps of paper.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not normally, but there are cases where they can.

"I wrote several pages of notes at the lecture last week. Now I can't find the sheets of paper that I wrote them on." You can't write the papers there.

"They said I had to bring my birth certificate and marriage certificate, but when I got to the office, nobody asked to see my papers." Here, papers refers to official documents. In many countries, police officers can demand documents from people. If that's happening in a foreign film, the sub-titles will have the officer say "Papers,​ please." This convention doesn't exist in any Anglophone countries I know of, but if it did, that's the phrase you'd expect to hear.

kilroy65

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
When students take tests or written exams, their teacher might say: "OK, students, time's up! Hand in your papers."

Note: Some ESL learners probably don't know that "papers" can also stand for "newspapers": "Do you have any papers to read?"

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
In many countries, police officers can demand documents from people. If that's happening in a foreign film, the sub-titles will have the officer say "Papers,​ please." This convention doesn't exist in any Anglophone countries I know of, but if it did, that's the phrase you'd expect to hear.
I remember one time at San Francisco International Airport, an immigration officer said "Show me your papers." It's very unusual, because it sounds like something you might hear spoken with a German accent in a WWII spy movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.