• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Unlike the Republic, the news is peppered with commercials the way the streets outsid

Hi again

I am a translator from Iran and now I am translating a book and I have trouble in some places.

Unlike the Republic, the news is peppered with commercials the way the streets outside had been, for things that I donít comprehend.

I don't understand the above sentence at all can you help me

and what unlike the republic means?

Here I have another question:

Thin red bolts of lightning spurted from the sorceress's hands, reaching him in many places and wrapping him up thoroughly. His clothes hissed and started to smolder.

in this sentence what is the meaning of reaching him in many places and wrapping him up thoroughly?

thanks for your help

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Unlike the Republic, the news is peppered with commercials the way the streets ou

Quote Originally Posted by arashrad View Post
    "Unlike the Republic, the news is peppered with commercials the way the streets outside had been, for things that I donít comprehend."

I don't understand the above sentence at all. can Can you help me?

and Also, what does "unlike the republic" means?
    Note my corrections above. Sentences must end with appropriate punctuation and begin with a capital letter.

Without more context, I can only guess what "unlike the Republic" means. My guess is that the author is comparing a foreign place to his own country, which he calls "the Republic". He should have written "unlike in the Republic".

He means that the television news is interrupted by advertisements (called "commercials" on television), and advertisements are also visible as he walks around on the streets. This is not the case in his home country. He doesn't understand what the advertisements are promoting.

The phrase peppered with evokes an image of flakes of pepper landing randomly on the food on your plate.
    I am not a teacher.