• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

take down

Are these sentences right?

I received a call from Mr. Oh and I decided to take down the message for you instead of forwarding the call to you as I knew you were not at your desk at that time. I hope you are fine with that. Mr. Oh said their products would be ready in one to two months time.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: take down

I received a call from Mr. Oh and I decided to take a message for you, (instead of forwarding the call,) as I knew you were not at your desk at that time. I hope you are fine with that. Mr. Oh said their products would be ready in one to two months time.
    I think you could dispense with the part in brackets as it's not really necessary.
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Anglophones would write I hope you are OK with that or I hope that's OK with you, not I hope you are fine with that. "Fine" is used in affirmative replies, but usually not in questions or statements meant to evoke a response.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by swallow888 View Post
    Are these sentences right?

Not bad! I'd say:

I received a call from Mr. Oh, and I decided to take down the message for you instead of forwarding it, because I knew you were not at your desk [Delete: at that time]. I hope you are fine with that. Mr. Oh said their products would be ready in one or two months time.

You need the first comma because it's a compound sentence. You need the second comma because you're starting a dependent clause. You also had some unneeded words, which I took out. In conversational English, it's good to be concise.
    I hope that helps!
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

You need the first comma because it's a compound sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    I hope that helps!
    I disagree. I think the first comma is optional. I wouldn't use it.
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer