Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
In American English when we talk about soccer we are talking about the same sport that is called football in British English.

Now, does the term soccer only apply to the game? What about the football (the big round ball they play soccer with), is it football in American English or does it have a different name like soccer ball or anything else?

(Note: I am not asking about the game of soccer here as it is already understood soccer is American name of the game of football, I am asking about the big round ball they play soccer with)

Regards
Aamir the Global Citizen

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not called a football here (USA). It's called a soccer ball. (There is a different kind of ball that is called a football.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
It's not called a football here (USA). It's called a soccer ball. (There is a different kind of ball that is called a football.)

Thanks for confirming. I think that different kind of football is the oval shaped ball that is played in American football right? and American football is similar to Rugby right?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, the "football" in the US is oval shaped, and yes, American football derived from rugby. The introduction of the forward pass and the stopping of play between "downs" are the significant developments that make American football different from rugby.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
And is American football is also played elsewhere I mean outside the United States and Canada where it is referred to as something else I mean with some different names? Is it played in the UK and Australia. And do they call it gridiron over there?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
American football is widely played in the UK and throughout Europe. (Click)

However, it attracts very little public interest.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the mid-1990s, the London Monarchs were part of a European American Football league. I went to every one of their home matches, played at Wembley Stadium. There was also a local team where I live and I frequented their weekend games too. I understand that a few US teams have come over and played in London in the last year or so but I haven't been to any of those games.

In general, people in the UK don't bother saying "soccer" because we don't feel the need to explain what we mean when we say "football". We would use "American Football" or "gridiron" if we needed to make it clear we weren't talking about "soccer".

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Yes we are not talking about soccer but American football, so you guys call it either American football or gridiron in UK both of them work.

Thanks emsr2d2 for the detailed answer. I really appreciate that.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The NFL commissioner has his heart set on expanding and placing a team in London. This would present a major problem for travel and scheduling.

The teams that have played a regular season game in London always had the following week off. Each team plays 16 games in 17 weeks, so there is only one opportunity to have that off week.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And is American football is also played elsewhere I mean outside the United States and Canada where it is referred to as something else I mean with some different names? Is it played in the UK and Australia. And do they call it gridiron over there?

Canadian football has some significant differences with American football, though its general rules are similar. Even though I lived in Canada for a few years, I never learned whether Canadians also sometimes play American football or whether they stick to the Canadian version.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
(Note: I am not asking about the game of soccer here as it is already understood soccer is American name of the game of football

It's called soccer in BrE too. Football refers to rugby as well which also goes by the name of rugby football. Most of the time it is very clear what people are talking about.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As I understand it, the game internationally known as football was originally and formally known as association football. "Soccer" was a familiar form of association, hence its application to the game. So both soccer and football can be used in BrE, though football is much more common.

I understand there are two versions of rugby football, too, each with its adherents and its official and common name.

Status
Not open for further replies.