• Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Colombia
      • Current Location:
      • Colombia

• Post Thanks / Like

VOCABULARY ADVICE

I've been having some problems trying to keep all the things I'm learning up, specially when it comes to vocabulary. There are many words which I may learn today but since they are not part of an "everyday usage" it's hard for me to remember them. In your own personal experience what should I do to avoid these words from keep slipping off my mind? Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: VOCABULARY ADVICE

When I'm learning a foreign language, I always try to incorporate new words into full sentences, preferably sentences which have some personal meaning.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Try to think of a silly, inappropriate transliteration of a word and remember them together. For example, in French the word for to bother (someone) is déranger (quelqu'un). This looks exactly like derange in English. As an Anglophone, whenever I apologize for bothering someone I can think to myself that I'm apologizing for deranging her, which would be ludicrous in English.

My high school French teacher used this technique all the time, though he never told us what he was doing. He pretended not to know English very well, so making those substitutions seemed natural.

I do the same with Spanish vocabulary. It's easier to remember that esperar means "to wait" if I think of it as "to hope". I'm hoping for the bus sounds silly but strangely appropriate in English, which makes it easier to remember.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

• Post Thanks / Like

To me, there are two ways of remembering new words.
    Makes sentences with each word is the most effective. It would leave a deeper impression of the word on your mind. Of course it takes a longer time,
    Make a list of the new words that you come across with their meanings. Review the list regularly.
    Being able to use words correctly is more important than just knowing the meanings of words.
    Last edited by tedmc; 29-Mar-2016 at 05:30.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

Don't try to learn a lot of words in a short period of time- you will forget them quickly. Learn a few at a time, especially words that matter to you. I am a native speaker but I am not a surgeon, and so my vocabulary for surgery is not that good. I don't see it as a problem. Learn stuff you will use and try to learn it in a manner you can recycle and fix in your long-term memory.