• Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Talk chalk

Can anybody help me with the bold text?

The year after John Bird was called up to the Bar he had fleshed his maiden steel upon his father by taking a piece of chalk, a microscope, and twenty- seven volumes of geology to Carnswith Towers for the long vacation. Father and son talked chalk day and night for nine weeks. It was a drawn battle. The father had to admit the facts of geology. "Then," said the son, "I cannot believe that God wrote a lie upon the rocks." Timothy replied, "Let God be true, and every man a liar!" He also very ably urged that it was not a lie. If men of science were not blinded by the devil (owing to their seared consciences and their quite gratuitous hatred of God; they would see, as he, Timothy Bird, saw, that it was obvious from the chalk itself that it had been created in a moment. Alternately, God had written a lie upon the rocks in order to blind them. "God shall send them strong delusion, that they may believe a lie."The immorality of this latter proceeding, of course, led to the old "God is a just God" line of argument with its inevitable conclusion in Sheol for the younger Bird.

The Death Bed Repentance, Aleister Crowley, 1918

The first one is an enigma to me. I have looked up what talk chalk means but the meaning stated in the dictionary does not seem to fit in the context. As for the third one, does the father wants to say his son must inevitably end up in hell?

Thank you very much.
    Not a Teacher

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Talk chalk

I think the first part means that he practised his newly acquired and untried skills on his father.

'Talk chalk' is probably just that. The subject was chalk, and they talked/argued/debated it for nine weeks.

I think you're right about the third part.
    I am not a teacher