English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Dear Teachers,

I want to teach a hairdresser English. He is on a medium-level. He needs to be more fluent in communicating with his guests. What method do you advise? What coursebook should I use? What should a lesson be look like? He does not like using coursebooks, anyway. That is, he does not like the traditional classrom way of studying things.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Ticsor

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Use him as a resource and find out the kinds of conversations that he has and needs. You can find any specific hairdressing terms and language on websites, so there's no need to follow a coursebook. I'd use the internet if possible, and print-outs if not.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Don't use a coursebook. You could do a series of improvised hair salon role-plays, with you playing a different customer each time, thus keeping it natural and relevant to what he needs. His task would be to strike up conversation and politely keep the customer comfortable and engaged without being too intrusive.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear ​teachers,

I want to teach a hairdresser English. He is [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] at intermediate level. [STRIKE]medium-level.[/STRIKE] He needs to be more fluent in order to [STRIKE]communicating[/STRIKE] communicate with his [STRIKE]guests[/STRIKE] clients/customers. What method do you advise? What coursebook should I use (he doesn't like coursebooks or, at least, he does not like the traditional classroom method of studying)? What should a lesson [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] look like? [STRIKE]He does not like using coursebooks, anyway.[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]That is, he does not like the traditional classrom way of studying things.
[/STRIKE]

Thank you.

[STRIKE]Cheers,[/STRIKE] You don't need this as you've already said "Thank you".
Ticsor

Note my changes above.

andrewberlin

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Germany
Is there a hairdressing magazine you can pick up, that might be fun to flick through. Have them explain the technicalities of the job, as if you were their trainee. Lots of roleplaying too, unusual requests, worst case scenarious, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.