[Vocabulary] What is the difference between over and over again and again and again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Is there a difference between "again and again" and "over and over again"?
Are they interchangeable?

Regards
Aamir the Global Citizen

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You have been on this forum for long enough (under two usernames) to know that we require full sentences in order to give our opinion.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
You have been on this forum for long enough (under two usernames) to know that we require full sentences in order to give our opinion.

I don't know if I can use the first username anymore, it doesn't work anymore, this is the only one I have now.

Most of the questions I ask are not from any source but what I have heard in movies, on TV, talk shows. So when I feel for example if two phrases have similar meanings I feel the need to know if they are different in any way or if they are interchangeable.

Now, I do construct my own sentences but you know I am not very good at punctuation, I do get confused with those comma splices. However, one of the moderators gave me a link to read about it, I am still confused to use them.

John had proposed Alexandra on many occasions over and over again, but Alexandra felt indifferent.
John had proposed Alexandra on many occasions again and again, but Alexandra felt indifferent.

Now in this one the first one sounds more natural to me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
They mean the same to me. I'd put that phrase before "on many occasions", not after it.

"John proposed to Alexandra."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
John had proposed Alexandra on many occasions over and over again, but Alexandra felt indifferent.
John had proposed Alexandra on many occasions again and again, but Alexandra felt indifferent.

John has to propose to Alexandra.

On many occasions is redundant in both sentences. Just leave it out.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
John has to propose to Alexandra.

On many occasions is redundant in both sentences. Just leave it out.

Yeah, using "on many occasions" with "over and over again" sounds like repetition, so "on many occasions" should be left out. Another new thing I learned from Raymott's and your post is that we should use the preposition "to" after "proposed".

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

John had proposed to Alexandra on many occasions.

OR

John had proposed to Alexandra many times.

If you insist upon using "over and over" you don't need to use "again" with it. Also, saying he did it over and over makes it seem like he did it on Monday and Tuesday and then and then again on Wednesday.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with Tarheel here in that neither phrase you mention adds much to your sentence. Many times or on many occasions would be enough.

My feeling about the phrases, though, is that over and over again has only negative connotation and is likely to suggest a sense of tedium or exasperation whereas again and again could imply excitement.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Say:

If you insist upon using "over and over" you don't need to use "again" with it. Also, saying he did it over and over makes it seem like he did it on Monday and Tuesday and then and then again on Wednesday.

I

My feeling about the phrases, though, is that over and over again has only negative connotation and is likely to suggest a sense of tedium or exasperation whereas again and again could imply excitement.

This is exactly what I was looking for the difference between "over and over again" and "again and again". And jutfrank the additional information you provided is indeed very very helpful thank you very much for sharing your valuable thoughts, they are much appreciated.

There is another thing that has come to my mind just as brother Tarheel has suggested "many times" or "on many occasions" are interchangeable. Now I have also heard "many a times". Can you guys elaborate a little bit on "many a times"? Now, is it colloquial or standard? And is it different from "many times"?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The idiom 'many a time' (not 'times') means 'on many occasions' or 'many times'.

idiom

many a time
again and again; frequently.
(Collins)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I passed "again and again on many occasions", because he could have asked her over and over in one evening a month ago, then again each week since then. He asked her "again and again" on many discrete occasions.
It's correct and acceptable if that's the intended meaning.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In theory I suppose you could propose to a woman more than once on the same day. Whether that ever actually happens is another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.