• Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Assembly used like "Collection"

Hi,

I'm not a native english speaker and need your help for the meaning of the word "Assembly". I would like to use it for the name of an online-store. It's a online-store for curated high quality/luxury consume goods. I would like to use it instead of "collection"... for example: "The furniture Assembly". Is that possible? I ask, because I know "assembly" is used like "assemblyin the automotive parts industry" or
    for "Assembly" used like „The National Assembly for Wales" (a assembly of humans))... but is it also possible to use it for products? Hope you understand, what I'd like to use it for.

Thank you in advance!

Key Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

Re: Assembly used like "Collection"

You can call it whatever you like, but 'The furniture Assembly' makes me think immediately of a factory putting pieces of furniture together.

On the other hand, a double meaning like this is often quite effective in a name.
    I am not a teacher

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Thanks for your fast reply Roman.
    I just ask, because I don't want to blame myself to native english speaking costumers...

Ok, this was not the best example... let's try something, which can't be put together, because it is a finished artisan craftwork itself... "the craftworks (or artworks) assembly". What would be your first thinking on that? I'm not putting pieces together, but I find, curate and collect ans sell a selection of pieces... so this is also a type of "putting things together", isn't it?

But in the end, for me it's just important that I'm not totally wrong...

Thank you.
    Last edited by _mili_; 02-Apr-2016 at 22:44.

4. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

No, you can't use "assembly" to mean "collection." Most normal people aren't aware of how "assembly" is used in manufacturing to indicate a collection of parts that are put together (and then often used along with other parts and assemblies to create a complete product.)

What would be brought to mind is either that it is a place that assembles whatever you are selling, or that you are expecting the consumer to assemble the finished item.

5. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

An assembly is the putting together of parts to make a whole, as the others have said, so you cannot use the word in place of 'collection'.

Other possible words (used metaphorically online) : furniture gallery/showroom/warehouse/department/store

What do you mean by 'curated, high quality, consumer goods'?
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.