Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Why is the Southern accent in the US different from Standard American accent?

I have heard people who are from Southern regions of the United States, like those cowboys from Texas. The accent they speak with is different from what we hear by American news anchors on CNN, and those from New York, Washington DC. ect.

The Southern accent is also close to Australian accent, because many words they pronounce are similar to those pronounced by the Australians.

Regards
    Aamir the Global Citizen.
    Last edited by Aamir Tariq; 04-Apr-2016 at 19:29.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Why Southern accent in the US is different from Standard American accent?

Note that your title should be "Why is a Southern accent in the US different from ...? We don't construct a question by writing a statement and then just adding a question mark.

Did you mean "Texas", rather than "Taxes"?

I don't equate a Texan accent with an Australian accent.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

It's not unusual to have differences in regional language. I doubt that everybody in the American South speaks with a Texas cowboy accent.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

There isn't one Southern accent. Texans, for example, are most likely to say "y'all". Here in Charlotte (NC) hardly anybody speaks with a Southern accent. However, in other parts of the state you will probably find more people who speak with an accent. (I'm from the Midwest (Missouri).)

5. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    There isn't one Southern accent. Texans, for example, are most likely to say "y'all". Here in Charlotte (NC) hardly anybody speaks with a Southern accent. However, in other parts of the state you will probably find more people who speak with an accent. (I'm from the Midwest (Missouri).)
    I agree but people from California and the people from New York, Maryland, Virginia they sound the same. They all speak with a typical nasal American accent. Californians should have a different accent from those in New York because it is even farther than Texas.
    Last edited by Aamir Tariq; 04-Apr-2016 at 19:32.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Aamir Tariq View Post
    I agree but people from California and the people from New York, Maryland, Virginia they sound the same. They all speak with a typical nasal American accent. Californians should have a different accent than from those in New York because it is even farther than Taxes Texas.
    Aamir Tariq, are you reading our replies carefully? I told you in post #2 that it's not Taxes, it's Texas, yet you repeated the error. Why did you capitalise "people" in the middle of a sentence?

I don't even know what you mean by "it is even farther than Texas".

To you, it might sound like people in California, New York, Maryland and Virginia all sound the same. I am certain that AmE speakers will tell you they do not. Even as a BrE speaker, I can tell a classic New York accent from a California accent.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 04-Apr-2016 at 19:14.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.