Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I have looked it up in some dictionaries and I don't know if it is correct that someone says that words " she is going down for a nap". I think it means " lay down " is it right ? I heard that on youtube. Someone helps me!

How about " i'm going to get her done for a nap?" what does it mean?please give me the explaination.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have looked [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] the phrase up in some dictionaries [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] but I still don't know if it is correct [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] for someone [STRIKE]says[/STRIKE] to say [STRIKE]that words[/STRIKE] "She is going down for a nap". I think it means "lay down". Is [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] that righ[STRIKE]t?[/STRIKE] I heard [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] on YouTube. Can someone [STRIKE]helps[/STRIKE] help me?

How about "I'm going to get her [STRIKE]done[/STRIKE] down for a nap"? What does it mean? Please give me the [STRIKE]explaination[/STRIKE] explanation.

It's used in BrE but only in relation to babies. It means that the parent(s) or carer puts the child into its crib/cot/bed in an attempt to encourage it to sleep.

"My husband and I make sure that little Beyoncé goes down for a nap at 10am and 4pm".

The specific phrase you quoted could be used in a dialogue like this:

John: Can I come and see you in about ten minutes?
Jane: Yes, that should be fine. Betty is going down for a nap in about five minutes so hopefully she'll be asleep by the time you get here.
John: Great. See you soon.

Note my corrections to your post above. It's important to follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter, including the first letter of a complete sentence enclosed in quotation marks.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Do not put a space after opening quotation marks.
- Do not put a space before closing quotation marks.

Son Ho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you very much for correcting my mistakes in writing and giving me the clear explanation. I will take notice of these next time. By the way, is it correct if I say "I'm going to put her to bed" or "I'm going to get her in bed"?

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
In the right context they would both be possible. emsr2d2 gave an example using babies, but you haven't made clear what you're talking about.

'I'm going to put her to bed' is my choice, and it has no other interpretation, in my view.

'I'm going to get her in bed', on the other hand, could have sexual connotations. It's all about context.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I'm going to take a nap" is used. (AmE)

Status
Not open for further replies.