[Vocabulary] Stitch or sew? Do tailors stitch clothes or sew clothes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
You buy a piece of cloth for yourself in the market, then you go to your tailor, he takes your measurements to prepare your dresses.

Now, will the tailor stitch your clothes or will he sew your clothes? Because the machine he uses to stitch clothes is called "sewing machine".

I got my clothes stitched.
I got my clothes sewed.

Do both have the same meaning? Or do they have different meanings?
Are both grammatically correct?
Are both common and natural?

Regards
Aamir the Global Citizen

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Most Americans buy their clothes ready-made. The phrase "off the rack" is often used. If I was picky about the way my clothes were made and I could afford it I would go to a place where they have a tailor who would make sure my clothes fit me exactly right. However, in ths country (USA) even the very wealthy don't buy cloth and take it to a tailor to have him make clothes out of it.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Most Americans buy their clothes ready-made. The phrase "off the rack" is often used. If I was picky about the way my clothes were made and I could afford it I would go to a place where they have a tailor who would make sure my clothes fit me exactly right. However, in ths country (USA) even the very wealthy don't buy cloth and take it to a tailor to have him make clothes out of it.

Well, we wear both ready-made as well as stitched/sewed by a tailor and it is not costly here. Sometimes the clothes that you get stitched/sewed are less costly and affordable. Different tailors charge differently and it also depends on the quality of the piece of cloth you are buying here if it is expensive or cheap that adds to the affordability factor. And as far as tailors are concerned, they are almost everywhere here in every street. So it was something cultural.

Now, suppose we have a situation where you buy a piece of cloth and take it to a tailor like we do, how would you say? You need to get it stitched or sewed?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, we wear both ready-made as well as stitched/sewed by a tailor and it is not costly here. Sometimes the clothes that you get stitched/sewed are less costly and affordable. Different tailors charge differently and it also depends on the quality of the piece of cloth you are buying here if it is expensive or cheap that adds to the affordability factor. And as far as tailors are concerned, they are almost everywhere here in every street. So it was something cultural.

Now, suppose we have a situation where you buy a piece of cloth and take it to a tailor like we do, how would you say? You need to get it stitched or sewed?

You get your clothes made by a tailor. Part of what the tailor does is to sew.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In the UK, if you do get a suit hand-made, you don't just think of it as stitching or sewing. We would use made too to cover the whole process.

Status
Not open for further replies.