Is it compulsory to use subjunctive mode in the conditional sentences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

As the title shows I'm going to know if it is compulsory to use subjunctive mode in the conditional sentences.

1. She spoke in a very low voice as though everyone was asleep.

2. She spoke in a very low voice as though everyone were asleep.

Regards.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A very large number of native speakers don't use it. Some exam boards, like Cambridge ESOL, no longer insist on it. However, in formal contexts, playing safe and formal is always a good idea. You have nothing to lose from using it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've been told that the subjunctive is used much more in the U.S. than in other English-speaking countries.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

As the title shows I'm going to know if it is compulsory to use subjunctive mode in the conditional sentences.

Regards.

Sentence 1 sounds ungrammatical to my AmE ears. Large numbers of Americans might say it that way, though.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Hello,

Regards.

Why are you calling your examples 'conditional' sentences? I'd call them 'comparative' constructions.

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Why are you calling your examples 'conditional' sentences? I'd call them 'comparative' constructions.

They were in the section of conditional structure in my Grammar book.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've been told that the subjunctive is used much more in the U.S. than in other English-speaking countries.

That would be true with the present subjunctive in BrE, which mostly survives in fossilised phrases. The past subjunctive is still used by many.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
They were in the section of conditional structure in my Grammar book.

Your book has made a mistake, it seems. They are certainly not conditionals. What is the name of the book/author?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And as someone else (it could have been me) told you in that thread, you need to give the full title of the book (capitalised correctly), the name(s) of the author(s), edition and year of publication.

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
See the below picture. Trudy Aronson, the author of the book, has included the structure in the 'Conditional Form' section.

attachment.php

Regards.

Attachments

• WP_20160408_001.jpg
    WP_20160408_001.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 16

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And as someone else (it could have been me) told you in that thread, you need to give the full title of the book (capitalised correctly), the name(s) of the author(s), edition and year of publication.

Is there any chance whatsoever of you actually providing the information I asked for, rather than a sideways view of one page of a book, which tells me nothing at all?

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is there any chance whatsoever of you actually providing the information I asked for, rather than a sideways view of one page of a book, which tells me nothing at all?

I'm writing by my mobile phone so if there is any mistakes in my writing please forgive me.

I don't know what the edition of my book is; it's not been written. But it seems this book has been published for the first time in 1950.

English Grammar Digest, by Trudy Aronson.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
To be fair to Flogger, he has done his best to show us the relevant page from his book. The confusion seems to arise from the fact that the page is headed 'The Conditional Form', when the entire page is actually about the use of the past tense/subjunctive/modal preterite verb used in comparative constructions where the subordinate clauses involved would normally be analysed as manner adjuncts/complements or adjuncts of comparison. For example, in 1. "She had eaten the meal as though she liked it", the underlined clause is a manner adjunct, clearly not a conditional one.

Last edited:

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Does she anywhere specifically say that they are conditional forms? Is there any suggestion in that chapter that she has mentioned other situations (apart from conditionals) in which the subjunctive may be appropriate?

No, she doesn't.

In the sentences including 'wish' she says that we must use subjunctive mode. Didn't you see the picture? If you notice at the bottom of the picture you can see that she says sentence with wish are in the subjunctive mood.

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
To be fair to Flogger, he has done his best to show us the relevant page from his book. For example, in 1. "She had eaten the meal as though she liked it", the underlined clause is a manner adjunct, clearly not a conditional one.

Thank you, sir.

But it's been included "she has eaten...." Not "she had eaten...."

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Thank you, sir.

But it's been included "she has eaten...." Not "she had eaten...."

Ah, yes, I can just see that in the fuzzy print!. It doesn't change anything though, because none of the information or examples on that page have anything to do with 'conditionals'. Just think 'comparative' instead of 'conditional'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Flogger, say:

As the title shows, I'm asking if it is necessary to use the subjunctive mode in conditional sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.