Interested in Language
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Dear Teacher,

Is there any specific time range for morning, afternoon, evening and night?
Sometimes I am confused when I meet somebody at a certain time. Let's say at 11.55 am. Is it fine if I say: "Good morning!" at that time.
What about if it is 16:30 pm? Is it a "Good afternoon" or a "Good evening"?

Also in winter, there is an early sunset compared with that in summer. Will it affect our way to address people as "Good Evening" or "Good Night". Say around 17:30 pm, it is already dark in winter but it is still light in summer. Do we say "Good evening" in winter at that time while it is already dark.

Note: please also correct my sentences above if it sounds "creepy" in terms of the grammar or others.

Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This is Australian usage. It's probably similar elsewhere.
The only definite time distinction is between morning and afternoon. 11.55am is morning; five minutes later is afternoon.
I wouldn't say "Good evening" unless it was dark outside.
Early in the nighttime, you say "Good evening" if you are meeting someone, and "Good night" if you are leaving them.

Colloquially, none of these are common except "Good night". We'd generally say, "Hello, Hi, Good day (G'day), Bye, Goodbye".

PS: You could (and should) also check the past threads on this topic - links are at the bottom of the page.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
BrE usage is much the same.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm about the same, except after about 6PM, I would switch to "good evening," regardless of whether it was light out or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.