• Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Colombia
      • Current Location:
      • Colombia

Advice on hearing amplifiers

Hello everybody
    My english teacher has suggested me that since I'll be moving out to an english speaking country soon I should get a hearing amplifier device. Apparenlty these will help me pick things up more easily and not get too frustrated when people talking to me. At first it didn't make much sense to me but I did realize that whenever I use my headphones I can understand things more easily and fluently so it makes sense that by using one of these I'll be able to identify sounds, words and phrases in a more effective way giving me this way the possibility to interact more freely with the locals. The reason he suggested me is because he says that even though I can understand most of the things I read or hear it's a completely different expierence having a real interaction with people. Anyway, Let me know your comments on this. thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Advice on hearing amplifiers

Quote Originally Posted by johnny88 View Post
    Hello everybody.
    My English teacher has suggested ​to me that since I'll be moving out to an English-speaking country soon, I should get a hearing amplifier device. Apparenlty Apparently these this will help me pick things up more easily and not get too frustrated when people are talking to me. At first it didn't make much sense to me but I did realize that whenever I use my headphones I can understand things more easily and fluently so it makes sense that by using one of these I'll be able to identify sounds, words and phrases in a more effective way, giving me this way the possibility to of interacting more freely with the locals. The reason he suggested it to me is because he says that even though I can understand most of the things I read or hear it's a completely different expierence experience having a real interactions with people. Anyway, let me know your comments on this. Thank you.
    Note my corrections above, particularly to your lack of capitalisation of "English" and your use of "suggest".

It's the first time I've heard anyone suggest this. I agree with you that listening to a language through headphones is usually a lot easier than without them but don't you find that generally when you're listening to something with headphones, you're only listening to one voice? That's not usually the case in real life. The main problem (at least the biggest problem for me with a foreign language) is that there are frequently other people talking in the background, or there's music playing, a TV on etc. Those things won't go away just because you have some kind of hearing device. If anything, they'll be louder!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Modern hearing aids with directional speech enhancement and background noise suppression might help you if you are partially deaf. But they would cost you many thousands of dollars. You'd need two, because otherwise the differential noises in each ear would probably confuse you more than no aids at all.
    But your teacher probably doesn't mean that grade of hearing aid. Perhaps you should ask him what he does mean. Cheap ear buds plugged into a small amplifying device might help, but I've never heard of them being advised before.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I've noticed that I like the volume a little higher when watching the news in my second language. I think the explanation is simple: spoken language includes a lot of redundancy. You don't need to decode redundant words as often in a language you're completely fluent in because you understand more words on the first try, so losing some of the redundancy doesn't impede comprehension.

I would not resort to an amplifier for use in conversation. Some people are a lot better than others at adjusting their speech to their interlocutors' skills. You'll understand the more flexible speakers better at first; conversing with them will help tune your ear to the others.
    I am not a teacher.