Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Are the use of the simple past in the first clause and of the present perfect in the second one correct given that in the first one I am speaking of a specific period of time whereas there is not specific time period in the second?

The most important thing I learned in school is...

The most important thing I have learn is...

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"The most important thing I have learned is..." is possible in the right context.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Or "... I have learnt is ...".

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Are the use of the simple past in the first clause and of the present perfect in the second one correct given that in the first one I am speaking of a specific period of time whereas there is not specific time period in the second?

The most important thing I learned in school is...

The most important thing I have learned is...

Essentially yes.

If you are no longer attending school, the simple past The most important thing I learned in school is... would be correct. (the period of your learning is located wholly in the past)

If you are still attending school, then the perfect The most important thing I have learned is... would be correct. (the present perfect here is seen as having some current relevance, relevance to the present.)

BloodSweatTears

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
And would it be correct to say The most important thing I have learned is... without still attending school, with the implicit meaning put into parenthesis: The most important thing I have learned (in my life) is...?

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
And would it be correct to say The most important thing I have learned is... without still attending school, with the implicit meaning put into parenthesis: The most important thing I have learned (in my life) is...?

Sorry, I skimmed your second example and assumed it was also referring to school. As Piscean said, the answer is yes, and the reason is because you are still living. Your life/learning still has some current relevance (presumably!) If you said The most important thing I learned in my life ..., that might be interpreted as meaning you must be dead, or almost!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you said The most important thing I learned in my life ..., that might be interpreted as meaning you must be dead, or almost!

The first interpretation would make little sense outside a zombie film. The second works- a speaker could use it on their deathbed.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
The first interpretation would make little sense outside a zombie film. The second works- a speaker could use it on their deathbed.

Oh, come on! It was obviously supposed to be humorous, and to make a point at the same time. You're nit-picking.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
My apologies- we do get the odd real-life pedant here, and I seem to have fallen victim to Poe's law. :puppydog::puppydog::puppydog::puppydog::puppydog::puppydog::puppydog:

Status
Not open for further replies.