Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Shortcuts generally don't work -- get out and talk with real people you meet, and this experience will make you learn best.

tantrum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Go through some websites, communicate more. There are a lot of useful resources you can use.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Different people learn at different speeds- there's no magic solution. Generally, the way to learn is through patience and dedication over time. I have seen hundreds of methods offering magic solutions over the years and the one thing they have in common is that they disappoint and disappear very quickly.

Donna Norton

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
United States
Practice makes perfect!

Mevina

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I believe I have the same problem as you. Sometimes I even think that I will never learn grammar properly, especially the advanced one. I make too many mistakes despite having been learning for a few years, in my opinion at least, but people tell me I tend to exaggerate. ;) Of course, I know it would be fantastic to have a conversation with someone who wouldn't be angry at me and my mistakes, but it's difficult to find such a person. It would be also beneficial because of the fact that during such a conversation (and I'm simply talking about writing, not necessarily speaking via Skype or other means) people are forced to frequently use many words they wouldn't othewise, therefore they are no longer known passively.
Actually, I have a question. Is is a good idea to translate some texts into native language and then back from Polish, in my case, into English, and then compare the translated text with the original?

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here's another handy tip: For an adverb, use faster or more quickly - not quicker. Quicker is an adjective, not an adverb. (Faster is both an adverb and an adjective.)

I doubt than many people get angry when you make English errors. Your back-and-forth translation idea might work IF you have someone to help spot your mistakes.

Your written English is already better than most native speakers'. Just keep studying and practicing. It takes more than a few years to become truly fluent in English.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The translation exercise seems most suited for practising translation, while producing language involves different skills IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.