Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. People from every walk of life need to work harder to make a profit during the period of economic recession. (I wrote it.)
2. People from every walk of life need to work harder to make a profit in economic recessions. (My teacher's version)

Are the two sentences both correct? My teacher said that “during the period of economic recession” is wrong, and it should be “in economic recessions” like sentence 2. However, I looked up the word “recession” in the Yahoo Dictionary, it has such an example-His factory closed down during the period of economic recession. Is my teacher wrong? Is there any difference between sentence 1 and 2? Thanks!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Which period of economic recession are you referring to?
Your teacher's version refers to recessions in general. "During" is as good as "in". The teacher's sentence makes sense as a stand alone sentence, while yours doesn't.
You could have written, "during this period of economic recession" or "during periods of economic recession" or "People needed ... during the recession" (if the particular recession has already been made clear.

Your teacher isn't wrong, but it depends on the intended meaning.

Last edited:

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Which period of economic recession are you referring to?
Your teacher's version refers to recessions in general. "During" is as good as "in". The teachers sentence makes sense as a stand alone sentence, while yours doesn't.
You could have written, "during this period of economic recession" or "during periods of economic recession" or "People needed ... during the recession" (if the particular recession has already been made clear.
Your teacher isn't wrong, but it depends on the intended meaning.

What I want to express is recessions in general. So, dose sentence 1 refer to a specific period?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, sentence 1 does refer to a specific period.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Alternatively, using the singular, you can say:
...during an economic recession.
...in the event of an economic recession.

Status
Not open for further replies.