• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

The countries in the euro area are now aggressively putting programs into practice...

1. The countries in the euro area are now aggressively putting programs into practice to boost their economy. (I wrote)
    2. The countries in the euro area are now aggressively launching their economic stimulus packages. (my teacher's version)

Is the sentences above both correct? My teacher say sentence 1 is incorrect, especially in this part of "putting programs into practice". But, I asked my American friend, he said my sentence is correct and fine. In addition, can I use the simple present tense for both the sentences? Can I say "into action" instead of "into practice" in sentence 1? Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: The countries in the euro area are now aggressively putting programs into practic

Both sentences are correct.
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: The countries in the euro area are now aggressively putting programs into practic

I was going to correct your use of 'the euro area'. I've only known it as 'the eurozone', so I'm glad I looked it up.

The eurozone, officially called the euro area,[7]is a monetary union of 19 of the 28 European Union (EU) member states which have adopted the euro (€) as their common currency and sole legal tender. The other nine members of the European Union continue to use their own national currencies.
    (Wikipedia)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

There is a semantic difference to me.
    Your sentence says they are implementing the programs they have developed. This is a step or two after your teacher's version, which says they are just starting them.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Can I use the simple present tense in both the two sentences?
    1. The countries in the euro area now aggressively put programs into practice to boost their economy.
    2. The countries in the euro area now aggressively launch their economic stimulus packages.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

[EDIT] No. Now that I read your sentences, I see they both need the present continuous.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I would expect "putting programs into place."