He drinks/will always drink beer every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarthaX

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Guyana
Current Location
Germany
Hi

I am wondering what's the difference with and without the 's' at the end e.g. 'He drinks beer every night' and 'He will always drink beer at night.' Aren't both simple present tense? What's the reason for the difference in the use of the 's' at the end of drink in one sentence?? Thanks. M

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your native language is English and you don't understand this?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Aren't both simple present tense?
There is considerable disagreement over this- some argue that will is the future tense, and others, including most modern linguists, that it is a present tense.

What's the reason for the difference in the use of the 's' at the end of drink in one sentence?

When we use a modal verb like can/could/will/would/may/might/shall/should, the verb that comes after it is the base form and does not take the -s ending:

I go/she goes
I go/he will go

MarthaX

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Guyana
Current Location
Germany
Your native language is English and you don't understand this?

'SoothingDave' I know what is right, I'm just trying to find out why. How many english native speakers can explain the rules behind every choice of words they use in a sentence?? It was many years since I sat in a classroom learning English theory but I have found myself in a position of helping a non-English speaker with everyday English, so I'm acting as a coach. I have not claimed to be an expert in the mechanics of the language. So maybe I should have said I am not a teacher, but I am acting in a teaching role, though not conducting a formal class. I am disappointed by your response as a senior member of the forum - a platform that is supposed to be supporting the teaching/learning of English. However, I am happy to receive the subsequent, very helpful replies. Many thanks.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Frequently people put down nonsense in their profiles. Your profile seemed to be nonsense. I apologize for the presumption.

I am old school, so to me "will" indicates a future tense. But whatever you call it, as was noted above, when you use a "helper" verb with a main verb, the main verb is used in the root form.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I suggest you change your member profile so that it says "Interested in language" instead of "Teacher" to avoid similar responses in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.