Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Hello,

Could be so kind please and help me with the following question?
How is it correct to say:

My only journeys were two weeks to France and one week to Turkey or My only journeys were two weeks in France and one week in Turkey?
Which is the correct preposition?

I rate my English level pretty high, but I am certainly no native and I do not feel the language too much.

Personally I think that using the "in" preposition is correct here. But I am not sure.

Many thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello.

[STRIKE]Could[/STRIKE] Would you be so kind [STRIKE]please[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] as to help me with the following question?
[STRIKE]How[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]is it[/STRIKE] Which of the following is correct? [STRIKE]to say:[/STRIKE]

My only journeys were two weeks to France and one week to Turkey.
[STRIKE]or [/STRIKE]
My only journeys were two weeks in France and one week in Turkey.

Which is the correct preposition?

I rate my English level pretty highly, but I am certainly no native and I do not feel the language too much. (I don't know what you mean by the underlined part.)

Personally, I think that using [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] "in" [STRIKE]preposition[/STRIKE] is correct here but I am not sure.

Many thanks!

Note my amendments/corrections above.

Neither sentence is very natural. We don't use "journeys" [with or without "in" or "to"] in this context. I would use "holidays", "trips" or "vacations" instead.

I went on holiday twice last year - two weeks in France and a week in Turkey.
I travelled twice in 2015 - I went to France for two weeks and to Turkey for a week.

I would use "journey" with the length of time it took to get from A to B.

I went to Turkey last year.
How long was the journey?
About 4 hours by plane.
How long was the trip?
2 weeks.

stefyx123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Thanks a lot for your help!

When I said " I don't feel the language", I meant not getting a feel for the language
It seems, I still have a lot to learn.

I understand the word "journey" doesn't fit in this context.
I understand it is better to use:" I travelled twice in 2015 - I went to France for two weeks and to Turkey for a week. "
Only one question:

When talking about visiting a country in the past, for a specific duration of time (e.g 1 week Holiday in France, 2 week Holiday in Turkey). Is it correct to say:

This year, my holidays were: two weeks in France and one week in Turkey?

Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When I said " I don't feel the language", I meant not getting a feel for the language.
It seems (no comma required here) I still have a lot to learn.
I understand the word "journey" doesn't fit in this context.
I understand it is better to use (no colon here) "I travelled twice in 2015 - I went to France for two weeks and to Turkey for a week."

[STRIKE]Only[/STRIKE] I have one question - when talking about visiting a country in the past, for a specific duration of time (e.g 1-week holiday in France, 2-week holiday in Turkey), is it correct to say (no colon required here) "This year, my holidays were: two weeks in France and one week in Turkey?

Thank you.

Note my corrections above. I would say "I don't think I really have a feel for the language".

Status
Not open for further replies.