Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "that some lawmakers and families of Sept. 11 victims are infuriated"mean "(the lobbying has led to the situation) that some lawmakers and families of Sept. 11 victims are greatly angered"?
----------------------------
The administration, which argues that the legislation would put Americans at legal risk overseas, has been lobbying so intently against the bill that some lawmakers and families of Sept. 11 victims are infuriated. In their view, the Obama administration has consistently sided with the kingdom and has thwarted their efforts to learn what they believe to be the truth about the role some Saudi officials played in the terrorist plot.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

bartdebsky

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher.

Yes, It does. It means that they are extremely angry.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher.

Yes, it does. It means that they are extremely angry.

Bartdebsky, please remember to state that you are not a teacher when you reply to other learners' queries. I have added it for you this time.

See my correction above. After a comma, you should use a capital letter only if the next word is a proper noun or the first person singular "I".

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

NOT A TEACHER

Hello, GoodTaste:

I just wanted to add something to Bartdebsky's excellent answer.

My teachers taught me that it is often easier to understand a long sentence if we delete (remove) some words that are not absolutely necessary for the general meaning.

Look how "easy" it is to know the meaning if we parse (analyze) only a sentence like this:

"The administration has been lobbying so intently against the bill that some families are infuriated."

The "so ... that" sentence is very common:

It is SO hot THAT I CAN FRY AN EGG ON THE SIDEWALK.
He is SO rude THAT NOBODY LIKES HIM.

Status
Not open for further replies.