Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi everyone,

Here is my IELTS writing about the use of leisure time and some remarks from my teacher:

Some people think that it is important to use leisure time for activities that improve the mind, such as reading and doing word puzzles.
Other people feel that it is important to rest the mind during leisure time.
· You should write at least 250 words.
· You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.
--------------------------------------------------------------

People have different views about how leisure time should be used in a proper way. While there are benefits for those who prefer relaxing the mind, the advantages of activities that enhance the brain are highly justifiable.

On the one hand, people spending time on intelligent activities such as: reading books or solving word puzzles appear [STRIKE]to have opportunities [/STRIKE]to become more happy and successful in life. In fact, reading books allows people to escape into a different world(which) eases the tensions in the rest of the body. Also, reading helps people expand their knowledge on fields that they really love. Likewise, playing puzzles not only serves the purpose of deriving fun, but also keeps the brain active and sharp at any age. By doing such activities, people will certainly develops their intellectual capacities through reasoning, thinking and imaging. This can turn out to be fruitful in the future.

On the other hand, many people would rather enjoy mindless activities in their free time. Firstly, after getting off from work with a mind was full of stress [STRIKE]and thoughts[/STRIKE], some people tend to involve in activities that can help them refresh their minds and [STRIKE]get back[/STRIKE] (->recharge) the energy. Meanwhile, playing puzzles or reading books means that they have to focus and keep their brains working. [STRIKE]This[/STRIKE](->such activities----I don't know why I cannot use "this"?) could increase the fatigue they have suffered (from-> Does it really need "from"?). In addition, one might argue that exercise or some outdoor recreations such as: mountain climbing or swimming is very interesting and restful. Also, these activities help people relieve stress and keep them healthy.

In conclusion, there are convincing arguments both for and against using leisure time to improve the mind, but the benefits still outweigh the drawbacks. Devoting time to such activities seems to be a more plausible alternative.

294 words.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Could you please check and give me some advice to improve my essay? Thank you very much!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
People have different views about how leisure time should be spent. [STRIKE]used in a proper way.[/STRIKE] While some point out there are benefits for those who prefer relaxing the mind, others highlight the advantages of activities that stimulate their thinking. [STRIKE]enhance the brain are highly justifiable.[/STRIKE]

On the one hand, people spending time on [STRIKE]intelligent[/STRIKE] activities such as reading books or solving word puzzles appear [STRIKE]to have opportunities [/STRIKE]to become more happy and successful in life. In fact, reading books allows people to escape into a different world (which) eases the tensions in the rest of the body. Also, reading helps people expand their knowledge [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in fields that they really love. Likewise, [STRIKE]playing[/STRIKE] solving puzzles [STRIKE]not[/STRIKE] is not only [STRIKE]serves the purpose of deriving[/STRIKE] fun, but also keeps the brain active and sharp at any age. By doing such activities, people will certainly develop their intellectual capacities through reasoning, thinking and stimulating their imagination. This can turn out to be fruitful in the future.

On the other hand, many people would rather enjoy mindless activities in their free time. Firstly, after [STRIKE]getting off from[/STRIKE] a stressful day at work, [STRIKE] with a mind was full of stress and thoughts[/STRIKE], some people tend to [STRIKE]involve[/STRIKE] engage in activities that can help them refresh their minds and [STRIKE]get back[/STRIKE] (->recharge) their energy [STRIKE]Meanwhile, playing[/STRIKE] instead of doing puzzles or reading books [STRIKE]means that[/STRIKE] for which they have to focus and keep their brains working. [STRIKE]This(->such activities----I don't know why I cannot use "this"?) could increase the fatigue they have suffered (from-> Does it really need "from"?).[/STRIKE] In addition, one might argue that exercise or some outdoor recreational pursuits such as mountain climbing or swimming [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are very interesting and restful. Also, these activities help people relieve stress and keep [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] healthy.

In conclusion, there are convincing arguments both for and against using leisure time to improve the mind, but the benefits still outweigh the drawbacks. Devoting time to such activities seems to be a more [STRIKE]plausible[/STRIKE] beneficial alternative.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
..some people tend to involve in activities that can help them refresh their minds and ..

Since "involve" is a transitive verb, shouldn't the sentence be written:

some people tend to get involved in activities that can help them refresh their minds and
some people tend to involve themselves in activities that can help them refresh their minds and

Status
Not open for further replies.