• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

It often takes a person like Suvir to think outside the box to make - meaning

Hello all forum users!

I really hate to waste things. So I was excited when I read a Forbes report about a 14-year-old student who figured out a way to save the government millions of dollars just by changing the typeface on official documents!

Suvir Mirchandani discovered that a classic typeface called Garamond could save his school up to 24% on ink usage, which translates to $21,000 annually.

He dug deeper into his research and estimated that Garamond could save the Government Printing Office up to $136 million annually! All by switching away from popular fonts like Times New Roman, Century Gothic, and Comic Sans!

It often takes a person like Suvir to think outside the box to make a money-saving breakthrough. Try printing in Garamond and home and see how it stretches your ink cartridges. (Read about the best printers for your money.)

The sentence in question is bolded. In my opinion, it means that "Often a person like Suvir is needed/required in order to think unconventionally (in order) to make a money-saving breakthrough" or "Often a person like Suvir, who thinks unconventionally, is needed/required (in order) to make a money-saving breakthrough".

Although the structure "it takes someone to do something" is used, I think Suveir is already a person who thinks outside the box.

What do you think of my thoughts?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: It often takes a person like Suvir to think outside the box to make - meaning

Yes, I agree with your thoughts. The sentence in question is ambiguous and not well-written. I'm thinking if we changed the second "to" to "and", it might be an improvement. What do you think?

Also, I don't think the expression think outside the box is appropriate here. Suvir's idea was certainly simple and clever, perhaps ingenious, but not really thinking outside the box as I would normally use the phrase.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: It often takes a person like Suvir to think outside the box to make - meaning

The phrase is far too often used. It's hackneyed. What's wrong with thinking 'creatively'?