• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

the gauge required the engineer to access the mechanism from every angle - meaning

Hello.

A thorough understanding of the process and meticulous measurements were required to achieve accurate measurements, and, even if the process was completed correctly, there was no guarantee the gauge wouldn’t slip slightly, upsetting the reading. Furthermore, the gauge required the engineer to access the mechanism from every angle, covering him in dirt and grease. By automating and computerizing the measurement device, the process takes only a fraction of the time and measurements are much more accurate.

The way I see it, the sentence means as follows:
    "The use of the gauge (dial gauge) involved / entailed using the engineer in order to gain access to the mechanism from every angle, which resulted in him being covered in dirt and grease" or "The use of the gauge (dial gauge) involved / entailed using the engineer in order to gain access to the mechanism from every angle, which caused him to be covered in dirt and grease".

Do you agree with me?

It is all related to the crankshaft deflection of the main engine.

http://www.seiffertindustrial.com/wh...ft-deflection/

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: the gauge required the engineer to access the mechanism from every angle - meanin

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'using the engineer'.

It means something more like 'using a dial gauge to detect misalignment required somebody (the engineer) to access (climb or reach around) the mechanism (crankshaft) from many different angles. Doing so resulted in getting covered in dirt and grease.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: the gauge required the engineer to access the mechanism from every angle - meanin

I wrote the use of the gauge rather than the gauge alone because it would not make sense. I know that you know what it is all about.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

I think that should be "the use of the gauge requires the engineer to gain acess to the mechanism..".
    If one needs to gain access to the mechanism, it is more likely to be for maintenance work rather than taking readings which a gauge is used for.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In engine maintenance it's not unusual to have to measure diameters with micrometers, commonly known as dial gauges. If you find that a shaft has worn to the point that its diameter is less than the specified minimum, you know that it or its matching part has to be replaced.
    I am not a teacher.