• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

State of Being or Linking

My 8th grade daughter just asked me to help her with an online assignment. I taught English 15 years ago, so I thought it would be pretty simple. Identify the verb or verb phrase. Next she had to determine whether each verb or verb phrase was active, linking or state of being. My first reaction was that a state of being verb is a type of linking verb. But then I decided to look it up. Unfortunately, I never found a very clear explanation. In the end we missed 3 half points because they wanted us to say the verbs were both linking and state of being (We didn't realize we were allowed two choices). For instance, we said the verb in the sentence "Badger is a dog" was a state of being verb. It was both. Can anyone provide an explanation? is it right to say all state of being verbs are linking verbs, but not all linking verbs are state of being verbs? I'd like a better understanding for the future.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: State of Being or Linking

I see no difference between state of being and linking ​verbs. The latter is the more common term.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: State of Being or Linking

Quote Originally Posted by Sbainbridge View Post
    all state of being verbs are linking verbs, but not all linking verbs are state of being verbs
    Hi Sarah

I'm no expert in this area but I've given this considerable thought and can't think of any reason to think the above is not true.

I gather the first part must be true by definition, but I'm not sure. Part of the difficulty (for me) stems from the fact that the term 'linking verb' describes a grammatical relationship whereas the term 'state-of-being verb' is a philosophical one!

As to the second part, I immediately thought of the verb become, which I'm sure must be a linking verb and which I'm even surer does not refer to a state of being.

Interesting question. I look forward to any other answers. (Is this really an 8th grader's homework?!)
    Last edited by jutfrank; 18-Apr-2016 at 23:11.