Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"If you had a blank check, how would you fix it?"

What does the verb fix mean here, please?

Thank you.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
First, do you know what "blank check" means?

If you do, what do you think "fix" could mean in this context (what do you do with blank checks)?

For future reference, looking up a dictionary may help you. Please bookmark http://onelook.com/browse.shtml for future doubts about vocabulary.

Heidi L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
First, do you know what "blank check" means?

If you do, what do you think "fix" could mean in this context (what do you do with blank checks)?

For future reference, looking up a dictionary may help you. Please bookmark http://onelook.com/browse.shtml for future doubts about vocabulary.

What I know about a blank check is a check you haven't put on any amount of money.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It can be completely blank, it might just have the signature on, or it might have an amount of money specified but no recipient yet.

I don't know why "fix" was used in the original sentence. A blank check isn't an error - it's usually been done on purpose - so there's nothing to fix. Where did you find the original sentence?

Heidi L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
So to fix a blank check is to put an amount of money on it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Where did I say that?

Heidi L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
It can be completely blank, it might just have the signature on, or it might have an amount of money specified but no recipient yet.

I don't know why "fix" was used in the original sentence. A blank check isn't an error - it's usually been done on purpose - so there's nothing to fix. Where did you find the original sentence?
"What is one major problem you see in the world? If you had a blank check, how would you fix it?"

It's one of questions I need to answer for an enterance to a conference. http://www.htlcinfo.com/high-school-students.html

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A blank check is an idiom meaning an unlimited amount of money. "It" must refer to something that requires fixing. So the sentence means "how would you fix this if money were no object?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"What is one major problem you see in the world? If you had a blank check, how would you fix it?"

It's one of the questions I need to answer for a [STRIKE]enterance[/STRIKE] entrance/entry to a conference. http://www.htlcinfo.com/high-school-students.html

Is this a sort of competition? Will entry to the conference be decided based on the answers to these questions?

I will give you a hint. You have misread the question. "Fix" refers to the problem, not the cheque.

Heidi L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Is this a sort of competition? Will entry to the conference be decided based on the answers to these questions?

I will give you a hint. You have misread the question. "Fix" refers to the problem, not the cheque.
If I had a blank check, how would I fix the problem I see in the world?

Last edited:

Heidi L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Heidi L, it would have been better if you had supplied the context from the beginning. You clearly have two questions there. The first asks you to identify a major problem you would like to fix. The second asks how you would fix that problem if you had an unlimited amount of money to spend. (There are many problems that cannot be solved with money, but if you spend that money you will make somebody happy.)

Heidi L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
A blank check is an idiom meaning an unlimited amount of money. "It" must refer to something that requires fixing. So the sentence means "how would you fix this if money were no object?"
I see. Thank you.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You should answer the first question first and then answer the second one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If I had a blank check, how would I fix the problem I see in the world?

Yes. You now understand the question. Because this is a competition, it would be completely unfair for us to help you with the answer. Now that you know what the question means, we wish you good luck with your answers and with the competition.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.