• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Which of the following statements about women cyclists is supported by the passage?

Hi, would you please help me to answer a question from the following reading. Thanks a lot.

The massive influx of women cyclistsómaking up at least a third of the total marketówas perhaps the most striking and profound social consequence of the mid-1890s cycling boom. Although the new, improved bicycle had appealed immediately to a few privileged women, its impact would have been modest had it not attracted a greater cross section of the female population. It soon became apparent that many of these pioneer women bicyclists had not taken up the sport as an idle pastime. Rather, they saw cycling as a noble cause to be promoted among all women as a means to improve the general female condition. Not only would cycling encourage healthy outdoor exercise, they reasoned, it would also hasten long-overdue dress reform. To feminists, the bicycle affirmed nothing less than the dignity and equality of women.

Question
    Which of the following statements about women cyclists is supported by the passage?
    1) The newly improved bicycle of the mid-1890s appealed mostly to women in a privileged position.
    2) The great majority of women in the mid-1890s considered cycling an idle pastime.
    3) Women bicyclists promoted cycling as a healthy form of outdoor exercise.

Answer
    About the third one, I think that it is wrong while the answer book say that it is correct! I think that while the reading says, "cycling encourage healthy outdoor exercise", does not speak about "promoting". I mean "encouraging" is different from "promoting". So, 3 is wrong.
    Last edited by tesoke; 26-Apr-2016 at 16:37. Reason: Removed formatting to enlarge font

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Which of the following statements about women cyclists is supported by the passag

There are a lot of spaces missing between words in your post. Please click on "Edit Post", add the required spaces and click "Save". You have also typed "Te" instead of "The" several times.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Which of the following statements about women cyclists is supported by the passag

Quote Originally Posted by tesoke View Post
    I think that while the reading says, "cycling encourage healthy outdoor exercise", does not speak about "promoting". I mean "encouraging" is different from "promoting". So, 3 is wrong.
    Promoting can be a synonym for ​encouraging.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

The text says, "...they saw cycling as a noble cause to be promoted[...]as a means to improve the general female condition."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The other two answers are flat-out wrong.