Which of the following statements about women cyclists is supported by the passage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tesoke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, would you please help me to answer a question from the following reading. Thanks a lot.

The massive influx of women cyclists—making up at least a third of the total market—was perhaps the most striking and profound social consequence of the mid-1890s cycling boom. Although the new, improved bicycle had appealed immediately to a few privileged women, its impact would have been modest had it not attracted a greater cross section of the female population. It soon became apparent that many of these pioneer women bicyclists had not taken up the sport as an idle pastime. Rather, they saw cycling as a noble cause to be promoted among all women as a means to improve the general female condition. Not only would cycling encourage healthy outdoor exercise, they reasoned, it would also hasten long-overdue dress reform. To feminists, the bicycle affirmed nothing less than the dignity and equality of women.

Question
Which of the following statements about women cyclists is supported by the passage?
1) The newly improved bicycle of the mid-1890s appealed mostly to women in a privileged position.
2) The great majority of women in the mid-1890s considered cycling an idle pastime.
3) Women bicyclists promoted cycling as a healthy form of outdoor exercise.

Answer
About the third one, I think that it is wrong while the answer book say that it is correct! I think that while the reading says, "cycling encourage healthy outdoor exercise", does not speak about "promoting". I mean "encouraging" is different from "promoting". So, 3 is wrong.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are a lot of spaces missing between words in your post. Please click on "Edit Post", add the required spaces and click "Save". You have also typed "Te" instead of "The" several times.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think that while the reading says, "cycling encourage healthy outdoor exercise", does not speak about "promoting". I mean "encouraging" is different from "promoting". So, 3 is wrong.

Promoting can be a synonym for ​encouraging.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The text says, "...they saw cycling as a noble cause to be promoted[...]as a means to improve the general female condition."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The other two answers are flat-out wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.