Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"Thousands of chickens were slaughtered because they were infected by a disease." (from Advanced Vocabulary Builder for English Exams of LiveABC)
Is "were infected by" used correctly? I think the preposition is wrongly used; it should be "with". Am I right? Thanks!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Both are okay, but I agree with you. I would have said "with," too.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Infected by a disease is wrong. Nobody would misunderstand it, but the phrase should be infected with​ a disease.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I checked COCA and the BNC and both have quite a few examples of infected by:

Coca:
Infected with: 1915
Infected by: 404

BNC:
Infected with: 290
Infected by: 93

And Ngrams shows a fairly constant presence for infected by.

There are some false positives in the results - infected by accident - but the majority seem OK. I'd use with, but I wouldn't say that by is wrong.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
GoesStation is right that infected by is wrong, based on a misuse of the verb infect.

One chicken may infect another with a disease. The second chicken is then infected with a disease (by the first chicken.)

The disease doesn't infect the chickens, so the chickens are not infected by the disease.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I haven't had the time to look at instances of infected by cited upthread, but I suspect most of them are valid uses like the one you propose. A person can be infected with the chickenpox virus, or infected by a person with chickenpox, but saying that someone was infected by​ chickenpox would be careless writing.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What difference do Ngram data make? They won't tell you what is correct or acceptable -- just the instances of use. However, Ngrams are interesting in that they tell you how many people are right/wrong!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
GoesStation is right that infected by is wrong, based on a misuse of the verb infect.

One chicken may infect another with a disease. The second chicken is then infected with a disease (by the first chicken.)

The disease doesn't infect the chickens, so the chickens are not infected by the disease.

That makes sense to me!

Z, I think that's your answer.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

Yes! You have a good point. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.