• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

To lead after 25 minutes

(to lead after 25 minutes) would you interpret this to mean, anytime after 25 minutes you would be in lead, or would you interpret this as up to 25 mins?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Looking for your interpretation of phrase meaning?

Welcome to the forum.

Please put your phrase into a complete sentence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: To lead after 25 minutes

This is the complete sentence (Manchester Utd to lead after 25 minutes) I was having a dispute about what this is meant to be implying, I feel you could interpret this as meaning Manchester Utd to lead anytime after 25 minutes, but I'm informed that this could only mean up to 25 minutes. I just feel the wording could be misleading, and could mean a few things. So would just like your opinion as to what you would interpret (Manchester Utd to lead after 25 minutes)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by dave5perth View Post
    Manchester Utd to lead after 25 minutes
    These words mean very little indeed with no context. Did you just suddenly hear someone utter them, or find them on an odd scrap of paper?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

It sounds like a newspaper headline to me. Could you please provide more information about the sentence (date of publication, newspaper...)
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Hi there, will try to explain this to make things clear. I seen this on a bookmakers site with odds beside this ( Manchester Utd to lead after 25 minutes) I took this bet as this implied to me, if Manchester Utd were leading after 25 minutes I would be correct. Manchester Utd lead on 27 minutes, so I assumed I had won, the bet was put as a loser. When I queried this I was informed this means up to 25 mins and is clear and can't be taken any other way. I gave them various examples as to why this bet could be taken different ways by customers, as the wording is not clear as to what they perceive this to only mean. So would like input as to what this implies to anybody looking at this, because I feel other customers could possibly interpret this as after 25 mins.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

It means "after they have played for 25 minutes". In other words, they should be leading at the 25th minute of the game. If your interpretation were correct you would win if they went into the lead any time from the 25th minute to the end of the game.
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    It means "after they have played for 25 minutes". In other words, they should be leading at the 25th minute of the game. If your interpretation were correct you would win if they went into the lead any time from the 25th minute to the end of the game.
    I would agree totally if this said Manchester Utd to lead after they have played 25 minutes, but it says Manchester Utd to lead after 25 mins, which I feel could be interpreted as 26 mins?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

No, you are wrong. It's not meaning any time after 25 minutes. It means exactly at the point in time when 25 minutes have elapsed in the game. At that one point in time, either they have a lead or they do not. That determines the winner of the bet.

In American football, we divide the game into 4 quarters. The equivalent bet would be who has the lead when the 1st quarter ends. It's a point in time.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    No, you are wrong. It's not meaning any time after 25 minutes. It means exactly at the point in time when 25 minutes have elapsed in the game. At that one point in time, either they have a lead or they do not. That determines the winner of the bet.

In American football, we divide the game into 4 quarters. The equivalent bet would be who has the lead when the 1st quarter ends. It's a point in time.

Yes thats fair enough, but I feel this could be worded better. Manchester Utd to lead after 25mins Manchester Utd result 25 minutes one is very clear to me, the other in my opinion could be interpreted as after, or am I totally wrong here?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast