Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
(to lead after 25 minutes) would you interpret this to mean, anytime after 25 minutes you would be in lead, or would you interpret this as up to 25 mins?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: Looking for your interpretation of phrase meaning?

Welcome to the forum.

Please put your phrase into a complete sentence.

dave5perth

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is the complete sentence (Manchester Utd to lead after 25 minutes) I was having a dispute about what this is meant to be implying, I feel you could interpret this as meaning Manchester Utd to lead anytime after 25 minutes, but I'm informed that this could only mean up to 25 minutes. I just feel the wording could be misleading, and could mean a few things. So would just like your opinion as to what you would interpret (Manchester Utd to lead after 25 minutes)

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
It sounds like a newspaper headline to me. Could you please provide more information about the sentence (date of publication, newspaper...)

dave5perth

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi there, will try to explain this to make things clear. I seen this on a bookmakers site with odds beside this ( Manchester Utd to lead after 25 minutes) I took this bet as this implied to me, if Manchester Utd were leading after 25 minutes I would be correct. Manchester Utd lead on 27 minutes, so I assumed I had won, the bet was put as a loser. When I queried this I was informed this means up to 25 mins and is clear and can't be taken any other way. I gave them various examples as to why this bet could be taken different ways by customers, as the wording is not clear as to what they perceive this to only mean. So would like input as to what this implies to anybody looking at this, because I feel other customers could possibly interpret this as after 25 mins.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It means "after they have played for 25 minutes". In other words, they should be leading at the 25th minute of the game. If your interpretation were correct you would win if they went into the lead any time from the 25th minute to the end of the game.

dave5perth

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It means "after they have played for 25 minutes". In other words, they should be leading at the 25th minute of the game. If your interpretation were correct you would win if they went into the lead any time from the 25th minute to the end of the game.

I would agree totally if this said Manchester Utd to lead after they have played 25 minutes, but it says Manchester Utd to lead after 25 mins, which I feel could be interpreted as 26 mins?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, you are wrong. It's not meaning any time after 25 minutes. It means exactly at the point in time when 25 minutes have elapsed in the game. At that one point in time, either they have a lead or they do not. That determines the winner of the bet.

In American football, we divide the game into 4 quarters. The equivalent bet would be who has the lead when the 1st quarter ends. It's a point in time.

dave5perth

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, you are wrong. It's not meaning any time after 25 minutes. It means exactly at the point in time when 25 minutes have elapsed in the game. At that one point in time, either they have a lead or they do not. That determines the winner of the bet.

In American football, we divide the game into 4 quarters. The equivalent bet would be who has the lead when the 1st quarter ends. It's a point in time.

Yes thats fair enough, but I feel this could be worded better. Manchester Utd to lead after 25mins Manchester Utd result 25 minutes one is very clear to me, the other in my opinion could be interpreted as after, or am I totally wrong here?

dave5perth

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You and your mate are away to do a fun run, the race should take about 30 mins. You say to your mate "I'm going to be leading after 25 mins" your mate starts laughing, as he thinks you have no chance of leading the race. You hit the front on 26 mins, and go on to win the race. Would your statement at start of race be correct or incorrect?

Sara Jimenez

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
As someone who used to work in a bookies, this bet means who is leading at the 25 min point . If Man Utd score in the 24th minute or before, and take the lead, you've won the bet. It doesn't mean from the 25th min on. The same goes for your race analogy. Your friend must be in the lead by the 25th minute, not after it. :-D

dave5perth

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As someone who used to work in a bookies, this bet means who is leading at the 25 min point . If Man Utd score in the 24th minute or before, and take the lead, you've won the bet. It doesn't mean from the 25th min on. The same goes for your race analogy. Your friend must be in the lead by the 25th minute, not after it. :-D

Thanks for input Sara, You don't feel this could imply after 25 minutes to some people? and you believe this is worded correctly for no misunderstandings?

Sara Jimenez

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thanks for input Sara, You don't feel this could imply after 25 minutes to some people? and you believe this is worded correctly for no misunderstandings?

No, because it means after 25 min of the game have passed, what is the score/who is in the lead. Maybe it's because I only came across this phrase while working in a bookies that I don't think it's worded incorrectly. :-?

dave5perth

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, because it means after 25 min of the game have passed, what is the score/who is in the lead. Maybe it's because I only came across this phrase while working in a bookies that I don't think it's worded incorrectly. :-?

Its all about opinions, and you feel my little example would not be correct. See my opinion is different, I feel if I said I would lead a race after 25 minutes and lead on 26 minutes this would be correct, as I said I would be leading after, not on, or before. Could be I'm getting a little senile in old age :lol:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you gamble, like with any other hobby, there is jargon that needs to be learned. They express the bets in a shorthand that is understood by those engaged in the activity.

For example, if you want to bet the horses, you need to know that a show bet pays off if the horse wins, but that a win bet doesn't pay off if the horse shows.

dave5perth

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When you gamble, like with any other hobby, there is jargon that needs to be learned. They express the bets in a shorthand that is understood by those engaged in the activity.

For example, if you want to bet the horses, you need to know that a show bet pays off if the horse wins, but that a win bet doesn't pay off if the horse shows.

I understand what you are saying with certain terminology, but what I'm trying to find out if something could be interpreted wrongly by the wording not being as clear as it could be.

Manchester Utd to lead after 25 mins, could mean 26 mins to some people, as this is after 25 mins. If I put Manchester Utd result 25 mins, both mean same thing supposedly, but I feel one is very clear, and can't be misinterpreted as to what it means, the other I feel could be interpreted differently as this caught me out. But as I stated could be getting a little senile :lol:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"At the 25-minute mark" would eliminate any potential for confusion.

dave5perth

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Lets say I was playing football and said I would score goal after 10 minutes, and scored on 12 minutes, would I be correct with what I said? or is this comparison totally different.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, you would not be unambiguously correct.

dave5perth

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"At the 25-minute mark" would eliminate any potential for confusion.

So you feel the wording could be better, to eliminate any misunderstandings? I agree, but when I put this to them for future customers who may read this differently as to what was meant, I was informed that you can only read this one way, which I disagreed with. Anyway was just looking for opinions from various forumites just to see if this could be misinterpreted or very clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.