• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

local areas and the metropolitan area

balanced development of provinces and cities is required.
    => balanced development of local areas and the metropolitan area is required.
    => localization is required.
    ===================
    This argues it can solve overpopulation to achieve balance between local areas such as rural areas or provinces far from the capital and the metropolitan area is needed. Are the terms "local areas" and "the metropolitan area" correct?
    Korea is a small country, so only within Seoul is populated one fifth of the total population. And in other provinces and rural areas, much less population is found.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: local areas and the metropolitan area

Maybe simply "decentralization is required" is enough. Do you say "local areas" as the opposite concept of metropolitan areas such as New York and LA?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Balanced development of provinces and cities is required.
    => Balanced development of local areas and the metropolitan area is required.
    => Localization is required.
    ===================
    This argues that to solve overpopulation, achieving a balance between local areas such as rural areas and provinces far from the capital and the metropolitan area is needed. Are the terms "local areas" and "the metropolitan area" correct? It depends on what you mean by "local areas." I would probably delete "local areas such as" and just say "a balance between rural areas and provinces. . . ."
    Korea is a small country. A fifth of the population lives in Seoul. And in other provinces and rural areas, Fewer people are found.
    I hope that helps.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

The original writer tried to say a balance between "Seoul" and other non-metropolitan areas and rural areas.
    I don't know how to say non-capital or non-Seoul areas. "provinces" in your example is similar to "rural areas", so I need a replacement.

Are the terms "local areas" and "the metropolitan area" correct? It depends on what you mean by "local areas." I would probably delete "local areas such as" and just say "a balance between rural areas and provinces. . . ."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Maybe simply "decentralization is required" is enough. Do you say "local areas" as the opposite concept of metropolitan areas such as New York and LA?
    No.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

not a teacher

It's common in Australia to refer to the parts of the country away from the major metropolitan centres as "rural and regional Australia". Perhaps in the case of Korea, the term "rural and provincial" might work.
    For example: To solve the overpopulation problem a certain amount of decentralization is necessary, achieving a balance between Seoul and rural and provincial Korea.

The problem with "local" is that even someone living in the centre of a large city regards their immediate environment as their local area.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The original writer tried to say a balance between "Seoul" and other non-metropolitan areas and rural areas.
    I don't know how to say non-capital or non-Seoul areas. "provinces" in your example is similar to "rural areas", so I need a replacement.

Are the terms "local areas" and "the metropolitan area" correct? It depends on what you mean by "local areas." I would probably delete "local areas such as" and just say "a balance between rural areas and provinces. . . ."
    Again, it depends on what you mean by "local area." Seoul or a part of Seoul might be a local area. I have lived in three sections of New York City: Greenwich Village, the Upper West Side, and East Flatbush. All three are local areas in a big city.

Try:

- a balance between Seoul and rural areas
    - a balance between rural and urban areas
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

As JMurray said, "local" is entirely subjective. It refers to the area close to where the speaker is (at the time of speaking) or to where they live, or the area close to where the subject of the speech lives.

I shop only in my local area.
    My friends shop only in their local area.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.