• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Lose/Miss

Hello.
    I am interested in the correct use of these two verbs.
    When someone loses your item, e.g. a suitcase, can you use both words? E.g. you arrive at the airport and you do not get your luggage. Can you say: My luggage got lost/My luggage is lost. My luggage is missing/My luggage has gone missing. And what if you lose it yourself? Is there a difference in use of the verb/s?
    Is it possible to use MISS when you talk about things? Or can you say it only when talking about people? And when you are for example in a restaurant, you leave your table and when you come back your book is not there anymore. Which verb do you use in English?
    Can you also say "My keys got lost."? (I have not heard this expression before) Or can you only say "I've lost my keys"?
    Is there a nuance whether one speaks about people/things, or are these verbs interchangeable in all circumstances?
    Thank you in advance for your answers.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Lose/Miss

Quote Originally Posted by Mon80 View Post
    Hello.
    I am interested in the correct use of these two verbs.
    When someone loses your item, e.g. a suitcase, can you use both words? E.g. you arrive at the airport and you do not get your luggage. Can you say: My luggage got lost/My luggage is lost. My luggage is missing/My luggage has gone missing. And what if you lose it yourself? Is there a difference in use of the verb/s?
    Is it possible to use MISS when you talk about things? Or can you say it only when talking about people? And when you are for example in a restaurant, you leave your table and when you come back your book is not there anymore. Which verb do you use in English?
    Can you also say "My keys got lost."? (I have not heard this expression before) Or can you only say "I've lost my keys"?

As you've already noticed, when we're certain that we lost our keys ourselves, we would usually say "I've lost my keys."

We generally would only say "My keys got lost" if we don't know who lost them. "Everyone in my family used my keys last week, and they got lost."

Can we miss things? Yes. I miss a stack of B. Traven novels I gave to my niece last year.

Is there a nuance whether one speaks about people/things, or are these verbs interchangeable in all circumstances?
    Thank you in advance for your answers. Each has more than one meaning. Sometimes they're interchangeable, and sometimes they're not.

So, for example, "My luggage is missing" means the same thing as "My luggage is lost."

But while we would say "My luggage has gotten lost," we would NOT say "My luggage has gotten missing."
    So, yes, there are many nuances separating the two words. It's not about people versus things. It's more simply (or more complicatedly!) about usage.

You've asked a good (but difficult!) question. Let's see if any of the teachers here can shed more light.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.