Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"My friend didn't go to school for three days so teacher marked him absent for those days but he had given application for those days so teacher should have marked leaves for those three days"

"Teachers cannot mark absent for the days, children provide them applications for".

Please check.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They're all poorly written.

My friend didn't attend school for three days so the teacher marked him as absent. However, he had been given permission for that absence.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, we would say "but he had been excused."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I note that he hadn't actually been excused or been given permission to be away. The child merely submitted an application, which the teacher might not have received.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Would it be correct to say "marked leave for that day"? Actually he submitted leave when he went to school after taking leave because he was sick.

Could you please check my second sentence as well "teachers cannot mark absent for the days, children provide them applications for"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would it be correct to say "marked leave for that day"? Actually he submitted leave when he went to school after taking leave because he was sick.

Could you please check my second sentence as well "teachers cannot mark absent for the days, children provide them applications for"?

I'm confused by the whole thing. If he didn't go to school, even if he was sick, then he was absent. Are you suggesting that the teacher should only mark students as "absent", when they don't have an excuse? Once a student explains that they were sick, what is the teacher supposed to write? "Absent" simply means "not here/there", it doesn't mean "absent without permission".

Your second sentence ending "children provide them applications for" is incomprehensible.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Could you please tell me, what is the correct way of writing it?

Is it grammatically incorrect?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Please reply guys.

You are forgetting that people answering here are volunteers who use their spare time for the benefit of other members, and that you are not the only member with doubts which need an answer. Please be patient, tufguy.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Could you please tell me, what is the correct way of writing it?

Is it grammatically incorrect?
We can't answer that because we don't know what you are trying to say.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
My second sentence "Teachers can't mark absent for the days, children provide them medicals/applications for". Please check this one. Is it grammatical?

I mean if any child provide any evidence to the teacher that he was sick then teachers cannot mark absent for that day. They will have to use eraser or whitner and remention that the child wasn't absent. Instead of "A" they will write "L".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My second sentence "Teachers can't mark absent for the days, children provide them medicals/applications for". Please check this one. Is it grammatical?

I mean if any child provide any evidence to the teacher that he was sick then teachers cannot mark absent for that day. They will have to use eraser or whitner and remention that the child wasn't absent. Instead of "A" they will write "L".

Your second sentence should say something like this: Teachers can't mark children absent on days for which the child provides [something]. "Medicals/applications" means nothing to me, but a rephrased version should replace "[something]".

"Absent" means "not present". A student who does not show up for school is absent whether or not they have permission. Your system needs three marks for attendance: present, excused absent, and unexcused absent.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Teachers can't make children absent". Actually I meant "child was absent on Monday and he gave medical on Tuesday". Do we still need to use same sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The child did not "give medical" on Tuesday. That means nothing. Perhaps he "provided a medical note" or, in BrE, "a sick note" or "a doctor's note".

Status
Not open for further replies.