Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
One of my difficulties is helping students retain and enhance their vocabulary. What do you do to help yours?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note that I have changed your thread title so that it is grammatically correct. We spend a lot of time on this forum reminding learners that we do not start a question with "How to", as you did originally. I'm sure you teach your students that point!

What methods do you use at the moment in your vocabulary teaching?

Camila Paulucci

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Thanks emsr2d2 for your reply!

Actually I have been trying to use Mind Mapping at the moment, I took a course about it, but I see that some students don't like working with it. So I would like to get to know more techniques about teaching vocabulary, to see how other teachers have been doing to teach their own students.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I find it difficult to retain and remember new vocabulary. How [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] can I [STRIKE]do it[/STRIKE] improve?

I have corrected your thread title again. "How to help students retain vocabulary" only works as the title or introduction to a piece telling other people how to do it. It doesn't work as a question or a request. Note my other corrections to your post.

In your title, you suggest you are looking for ways to help your students with vocabulary. However, your post says that it is you who is having problems with vocabulary. Which one is it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks, emsr2d2, for your reply!

Actually I am trying to use Mind Mapping at the moment. I took a course [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] in MMapping (no comma required here) but I [STRIKE]see[/STRIKE] have found that some students don't like working with it. [STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] I would like to get to know more techniques [STRIKE]about it[/STRIKE], to see [STRIKE]how[/STRIKE] what other teachers have been doing to teach their students vocabulary.

See my corrections above. Please take care with your English. Your profile makes it clear that you are an English teacher so many learners on this site will assume that everything you write is correct.

I don't know anything about Mind Mapping. I teach only adult learners at the moment, privately, on a one-to-one basis. Whenever we come across new vocabulary, I make sure my students understand the definition and then I get them to use it in several different sentences. If we come up with a sentence that they find particularly memorable, I suggest that they memorise that whole sentence so that the new vocabulary is in context. I also ask them to use the new word/phrase at least ten times in the rest of the lesson and as regularly as possible in the next few lessons. I keep a tally on paper of how many times they use it (and whether they use it correctly, of course!)

Camila Paulucci

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hei there!

I wrote another thread because I got lost on the website. You can delete one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.