Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Phantoms (capitalised) indicate that I'm talking about a kind of war craft. But, I capitalised it not in order to show that 8 (ghosts or phantoms) were ready to do a tough task.

Yes, I am :-D

I guess you are saying that on that mission at least they were, in a sense, stealth aircraft.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I do. It means to frighten somebody that it finally eventuates to the the rising up of his hair.

I have never seen it that way. Instead, when somebody bristles at something he becomes angry. Possibility:

He bristled at my suggestion. He called me a "damn fool" and said I didn't know what I was talking about.

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I have never seen it that way. Instead, when somebody bristles at something he becomes angry. Possibility:

He bristled at my suggestion. He called me a "damn fool" and said I didn't know what I was talking about.

There is a famous book named 1100 Word You Need to Know. it has been written in it that "bristle" means "stiffen with fear or anger".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is a famous book named 1100 WordS You Need to Know. it has SAYS in it that "bristle" means "stiffen with fear or anger".

Written words are forever. That's why they are regarded as being in present tense.

I suppose "bristle" could be used to indicate fear (The hairs stood up on the back of my neck), but I am only familiar with the "anger" usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.