[Essay] Zhou Chu who eliminated the three calamities. (A story from ancient China.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcb98765

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Zhou Chu was born in Soochow, Yixing Village. He was very tall and strong when he was young, but rely on his power, he always bully populace of Yixing. One day, he was taking a walk in the village, and noticed that every villagers were upset, so he grabbed an old man's collar and ask "The harvest is abundant this year, but what do you guys upset for?". "How can we be happy while the three scourges are still exist?"the old man muttered. "What's the three scourges?"Zhou Chu said. "The white-fronted tiger in the southern mountain and the water dragon(A crocodile.) under bridge plus you are the three scourges. "the old man said.

After Zhou Chu heard that he's one of the three scourges, he felt very embarrassed, so he decided to eliminate the other two scourges. He equipped himself with bow and sword, then went to the southern mountain. When he arrived the deep forest of the southern mountain, the tiger sprung from a far distance. Zhou Chu hid behind a tree, and then pulled his bow back vigorously. He aimed the tiger, then shot on its forehead. After killed the tiger, he went down the mountain, and told villagers what he have just done;after that, some hunters lifted the tiger's body out of the mountain. All villagers were so glad about it, but he said "There still exist the water dragon.".

The next day, Zhou Chu dressed himself with a tights, and equipped his weapons, and then went to the bridge. He plunged into the river directly. The water dragon was hidden under the deep of river, and it attempted to bite Zhou Chu after saw him. Zhou Chu stabbed it by his sword. The water dragon ran away quickly after injured, so Zhou Chu traced on it. As the water dragon floated up, Zhou Chu floated up too;as the water dragon floated down, Zhou Chu floated down too. Three days later, Zhou Chu had already traced it for ten miles until it fainted by hemorrhage, and then kill it.

On the forth day, Zhou Chu came back to the village, and thought that he is a hero from now on. But he heard that everyone was happy, because they misunderstood that the "three" scourges were extinct. He felt depressed, so he decided to leave home, and apprenticed himself to a famous academic named Lu Yun. He said to Lu Yun "I'm so repentant that I wasted the most of my time. I want to engage myself to a great career, but I'm afraid it's too late now.". Lu Yun told him "Don't worry, because you have such a big determination. A person should be afraid of the lack of ambition, instead of futility."

At the end, Zhou Chu studied assiduously under Lu Yun's teaching;meanwhile, he improved his moral, and his studious spirit got acclaims from everyone;one years later, the whole local authorities around the states were recommended him to be an official. After Soochow conquered by the Tsin Dynasty, he became a well-known chancellor of this Dynasty.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Zhou Chu was born in Soochow, Yixing Village. He was very tall and strong when he was young, but relying on his power, he always bullied [STRIKE]populace[/STRIKE] the common people of Yixing. One day, he was taking a walk in the village, and noticed that [STRIKE]every[/STRIKE] all the villagers were upset, so he grabbed an old man's collar and asked "The harvest is abundant this year, [STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] what [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] are you [STRIKE]guys[/STRIKE] people upset for?". "How can we be happy while the three scourges [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] still exist?", the old man muttered. "What are the three scourges?", Zhou Chu said. "The white-fronted tiger in the southern mountain and the water dragon (A crocodile) under bridge plus you are the three scourges.", the old man said.

After Zhou Chu heard that he's one of the three scourges, he felt very embarrassed, so he decided to eliminate the other two scourges. He equipped himself with bow and sword, then went to the southern mountain. When he arrived at the deep forest of the southern mountain, the tiger sprung from a far distance. Zhou Chu hid behind a tree, and then pulled his bow back vigorously. He aimed at the tiger, then shot on its forehead. After he killed the tiger, he went down the mountain, and told villagers what he [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] had just done;after that, some hunters lifted the tiger's body out of the mountain. All villagers were so glad about it, but he said "There still exists the water dragon."

The next day, Zhou Chu dressed himself [STRIKE]with a[/STRIKE] in tights, and [STRIKE]equipped[/STRIKE] got his weapons, and then went to the bridge. He plunged into the river directly. The water dragon was hidden [STRIKE]under the[/STRIKE] deep [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in the river, and it attempted to bite Zhou Chu after it saw him. Zhou Chu stabbed it [STRIKE]by[/STRIKE] with his sword. The water dragon [STRIKE]ran[/STRIKE] got away quickly after it got injured, so Zhou Chu [STRIKE]traced on[/STRIKE] followed it. As the water dragon floated up, Zhou Chu floated up too;as the water dragon floated down, Zhou Chu floated down too. Three days later, Zhou Chu had already [STRIKE]traced[/STRIKE] tracked it for ten miles until it fainted [STRIKE]by[/STRIKE] from a hemorrhage, and then he killed it.

On the forth day, Zhou Chu came back to the village, and thought that he [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] would be a hero from now on. But he heard that everyone was happy, because they misunderstood that the "three" scourges were extinct. He felt depressed, so he decided to leave home, and apprenticed himself to a famous academic named Lu Yun. He said to Lu Yun "I'm [STRIKE]so repentant[/STRIKE] truly regret that I wasted [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] most of my life. [STRIKE]time.[/STRIKE] I want to [STRIKE]engage myself to[/STRIKE] start a [STRIKE]great[/STRIKE] new career, but I'm afraid it's too late now." Lu Yun told him "Don't worry, because you have such a [STRIKE]big[/STRIKE] strong determination. A person should be afraid of the lack of ambition instead of futility."

At the end, Zhou Chu studied assiduously under Lu Yun's teaching. Meanwhile, he improved his morals, and his studious spirit got acclaims from everyone. One year later, [STRIKE]the whole[/STRIKE] all the local authorities around the states [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] recommended him to be an official. After Soochow was conquered by the Tsin Dynasty, he became a well-known chancellor of this Dynasty.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, Teechar beat me to it. (A person has to eat, you know. (Sooner or later -- I just broke a two day fast.)) In any case, our interpretation wasn't going to be the same. And it isn't.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First paragraph.

Zhou Cho was born in Soochow, Yixong Village. He was very tall and strong when he was young, and he relied on his strength to get his way. He was in the habit of bullying the people of Yixing.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First paragraph (continued)

One day, he was taking a walk in the village, and he noticed that all the villagers were upset, so he grabbed an old man by the collar and said, "The harvest is abundant this year, so what are you people upset about?"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First paragraph (continued).

"How can we be happy while the three scourges still exist?" the old man muttered. "What are the three scourges?" Zhou Chu said. "The white-fronted tiger in the southern mountain, the water dragon (a crocodile) under the bridge, and you are the three scourges," the old man said.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Second paragraph.

After Zhou Chu heard that he was one of the three scourges he felt very embarrassed, so he decided to eliminate the other two scourges.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Second paragraph (continued).

He armed himself with a bow and arrow and a sword. Then he went to the southern mountain. When he arrived at the deep forest of the southern mountain, he saw the tiger from a distance. Zhou Chu hid behind a tree, and he pulled his bow back. He aimed at the tiger, he released thr bow, and the arrow went right through the tiger's forehead, killing it instantly.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things.

1. Tigers don't "spring" unless they are close enough to a prey animal to jump on it.
2. What kind of an arrow goes through bone?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Second paragraph (continued).

After he killed the tiger, he went back to the village, and he told the villagers what he had just done. After that, some hunters dragged the tiger's body out of the mountain and to the village. All the villagers were very glad about it, but he said, "There still exists the water dragon."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Third paragraph.

The next day, Zhou dressed in tights, armed himself, and then went to the bridge. He plunged into the river. The river dragon was at the bottom in deep water.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Third paragraph (continued).

When the water dragon saw Zhou Chu, it tried to bite him. Zhou Chu stabbed the water dragon with his sword.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The water dragon swam away quickly after it was injured, so Zhou Chu followed it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

When the water dragon rose towards the surface, Zhou Chu did the same. When the water dragon dove towards the bottom, Zhou Chu did the same.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Three days later, the water dragon fainted from a hemorrhage, anf Zhou Cho killed it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fourth paragraph.

On the fourth day, Zhou Cho came back to the village. But there was a misunderstanding. The villagers had been happy because they had thought that all three scourges wete gone.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fourth paragraph (continued).

He felt depressed, so he decided to leave home, and he apprenticed himself to a famous academic named Lu Yun. He said to Lu Yun, "I very much regret that I have wasted most of my life. I want to have a great career, but I'm afraid it's too late now."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fourth paragraph (continued).

Lu Yun said to him, "Don't worry. For you have a strong will. A person should be concerned about a lack of ambition, and one should not groan over having made mistakes."

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fifth paragraph.

Zhou Chu studied assiduously under Lu Yun's guidance. He also improved his morals, and his studious spirit won acclaim from everyone. A year later, all the local authorities in the area recommended him to be an official. After Soochow conquered the Tsin dynasty, he became a well-known chancellor of the Soochow dynasty.

cbcb98765

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Two things.

1. Tigers don't "spring" unless they are close enough to a prey animal to jump on it.
2. What kind of an arrow goes through bone?

1. I was meant to describe that the tiger appeared in Zhou Chu's sight accidentally.
The action can describe by a single verb in Chinese, and I put it into google translate, and then it showed spring.
I'll take care about it next time.

2. Maybe it's too exaggeration. In some China stories, the arrow even can goes through stone. lol
By the way, Zhou Chu was used his empty hands to beats the tiger in the latest version about the story. XD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.