• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Greek
      • Home Country:
      • Greece
      • Current Location:
      • Greece

Good start! Nice week

What do we say to the pupils at school after Easter holidays when we see them? For example in Greece we say something like "Xronia Polla!" which means something like "live long" or "Christ Has Risen!" and they usually reply "He has, indeed!" What do you say in England?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Good start! Nice week

I've never heard a specifically post-Easter greeting (or response to one) in the US. Can any other Americans here chime in?
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Forest View Post
    What do you say in England?
    Most of us don't say anything. For most young people in England, Easter is important for only two things: a break from school and Easter eggs.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

The only things British kids are likely to say to each other when they return to school after the Easter holidays are "How many eggs did you get?" and "What did you do in the holidays?" (or similar).
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hm. I'm going to ask my wife about this one. She knows a lot more about Christian customs than I do. I'll report back later.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I've never heard of a post-Easter (or any holiday for that matter) expression in AmE.

The closest thing you might hear was a standard question, such as "Did you have a good Easter?" or "How was your Easter?"

Edit:

I'll add that I grew up in a very religious household, and still am not aware of any such specific expression, so it's not due to a lack of familiarity with religious expressions.

Edit #2:

I think this may be what you're referring to, and it's particular to the Eastern Christian faiths. I'm not aware of anything similar in the western Christian branches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschal_greeting
    Last edited by Skrej; 09-May-2016 at 19:13.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I asked my wife. She says it's not a Catholic or Protestant tradition - Americans just say "Happy Easter" to each other. She thinks "Christ has risen"/"He has, indeed" might just be a Greek Orthodox tradition.

So I'm going to email a couple of Greek American friends and see if they know.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The answer: "Truly He is risen."

The details:

I just got an email back from one of my Greek American friends. He gave me a VERY typically American answer. He wrote:

"My Greek is extremely limited – it was always part of what I considered an embarassing ethnic heritage that I wanted to shed to be an American. My daughter takes great umbrage at that philosophy, calls me a Greek school dropout (which I was – I left it after a few months), and has taught herself enough Greek to get by (and wants to apply for dual US-Greek citizenship to also allow EU citizenship).

"With that disclaimer, the typical Easter greeting from one Greek to another is, in English: 'Christ is risen,' to which the other person responds: 'Truly He is risen.' I can say both in Greek but please don’t ask me to write it – I would be doing that phonetically and probably incorrectly from a spelling/grammar perspective."
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 13-May-2016 at 19:59.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

And I just got this from my other friend. It looks like saying it in Greek is also common and natural:

"I concur with Jim, except to say most people are still wishing you Chronia Polla, even though Easter was May 1st. We went to Meteora for Easter, and it was unbelievably beautiful. It is by far the biggest, and holiest, of all holidays. Christmas is not much of anything, especially commercially.

"As for dual citizenship, that is one reason we stayed in Athens so long. I wanted to land in a couple of places for a while, not schlep around, and really live here. We stayed in Athens for 6 weeks so I could apply for dual citizenship, which I actually thought Greece did not recognize and learned from the Consulate that they did, indeed. It is a bit complicated for me because I did not have much information about my father, who was Greek and who I needed to prove was registered. It is working out, as I found my half-sister, who has all his papers, but it will take a while. I wanted to get it because the girls can all apply once I have it, and our photographer/artist daughter really wants it so she can live and work in the EU when she chooses."